Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Improving the handling on a ute

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As far as I've always remembered the tighter section of the coil should be at the top while the softer part is on the lower end which is what you normally ride on until you hit some harder stuff.

I totally agree with VC's comments regarding large wheels and how they affect the ride. Sadly most people look at fashion over functionality. As long as it looks cooooooool who cares. Sorry not where I'll be coming from that's for sure and as you are traversing rough unsealed roads quite a bit you'll need every bit of give in your suspension, but then if you like being jarred to the core pick the fashion statement over the functional parts.

BTW our roads are just getting worse and worse day by day and honestly ?................I'm sick of them thus I run 16's (VS SS wheels) with 55 profile tyres opposed to 50's. Both our two VS's that we own have this wheel and tyre combination and they're harsh enough for me.

Honestly mate, I'd love to try 55 series on my Commodore, but they would rub on the base of the strut, where the spring sits.

I have driven the car with 205/65X15 on 7" steel rims and the car handled like a bucket of crud....Wollowed all over the road, didn't respond to my steering input as quick as it does with the 16" wheels and generally felt very unstable. So honestly Losh sticking with 225/50 or even trying 225/55's would be beneficial to him

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep.......can't argue with that !

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@losh1971 ...If you are considering 55 series tyres and you are happy with Kumhos, they have 2 different tread patterns available in this series...One is the HS51 and the 2nd is the PA51....The PA51 is the pattern that has taken over from the KU22....The HS51 to me, appears to be a better tyre, when compared to the KU22 and PA51.....Just looks like a smoother pattern and from what customers have told me, hangs on better than the KU22.

The PA51, I haven't heard any feedback about it, so I can't comment in that area. So something to stick in the back of your mind

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
As far as I've always remembered the tighter section of the coil should be at the top while the softer part is on the lower end which is what you normally ride on until you hit some harder stuff..
Thanks VSL, yeah that is right. I also checked in with the seller and he said the same thing.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Dunno what you have on the ute now, but if you are looking for a rim/tyre combo, these Adventra/Cross6, & 8

are 7.5 X17, load rated, and I can fit them with 225/55s on the Monaro with plenty of room to spare around the strut.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have 16" SS copies and I'm happy with them. I honestly think that with progressive springs it will handle and ride better. Hopefully they will go in this weekend. Wife offered to pay the 50 bucks to have them fitted by the garage. If i run out of time i might even book it in.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Dunno what you have on the ute now, but if you are looking for a rim/tyre combo, these Adventra/Cross6, & 8

are 7.5 X17, load rated, and I can fit them with 225/55s on the Monaro with plenty of room to spare around the strut.

They would probably look pretty good on your bus @losh1971 .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With the shocks...Perhaps you could try and remove the bushes from your old shocks and try out the wagon shocks...Saves you some coin and you won't loose anything if the wagon shocks are stuffed....:)
Found out today wagon rear socks are different to ute. Not sure the difference but different part number and different listing for KYB.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
They are probably just rated heavier as a ute is a goods carrying vehicle while a wagon is a part timer in that category and more so a passenger vehicle so comfort would be a higher priority I'd say.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just had the Lovells fitted at the garage next to work. Ute now sits 20mm higher in the rear than before. Will this settle down and drop a tad over a few weeks - months? It looks odd because it sat level before. I fitted standard height coils but they are slightly heavier duty compared to factory.
Kinda make me want to replace the fronts now to level it up.