Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Impulse Blue VZ Sv6 Sedan

Discussion in 'VY - VZ - WK - WL - V2' started by ASxTecH, Apr 27, 2016.

1. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo
    Hey Guys im back again.
    Recently just sold my E3 HSV Maloo some of you guys may know me from but here is my new toy.
    I originally wasn't going to post this little project but have some spare time up my sleeve so why not. Normaly when im bored ill look online for cars, parts or anything to waste my money on but something to make some little money on the side always helps for bigger builds.

I stumbled across this 2005 Sv6 sedan in Impulse blue one night around 11:30pm shot a random message off and had the keys in the morning. Manual with leather optioned, Roof racks, Mostly stock. Family spec. Story goes that the owner use to drive this car daily until one day it started to run rough and took it to Holden. Few days later Holden had narrowed it down to the timing chain and quoted 3.5K for all the repairs needed. ( Timing chain, Service, Plugs ect. You name it they quoted it. )
    At this point he drove the car home and the thing broke down to the point it would no longer start. Then the car was towed to a field where he lived and sat in his backyard for the next 6 months unregistered with grass up to its roof. Now who knows how long before the registration.

I turned up with my car trailer and a hand full of tools and got to work. Confirmed via computer codes the timing was out and knew some motor work had to be done. Struck a deal and loaded the car onto the trailer. Now I'm not going to say how much i paid but for all curious lets say bloody cheap.

Here she is. Keep in mind she needs a lot of work but my plan is to use her as a daily driver till find my next project and as always this will be picture heavy like all my projects.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo
    First thing on the engender was getting her to run. The front timing case has a nasty oil leak and the power steering also leaked quiet bad.
    Picked up this degreaser at Bunnings instead of Supercheap. A lot cheaper and personally think it does a great job at eating the grease.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should of took a photo when i first popped the hood. Had grass growing inside the engine bay. As normal i use a leaf blower to remove all water from the bay after washing.

As the engine would turn but not fire i checked fuel, spark, air ect and wouldnt fire. Next thing was to start taking her apart to inspect the spark plugs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also found a brand new filter sitting in the air box. Winning.
    [​IMG]

After removing i found some more grass around the manifold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surprise surprise the plugs are toast
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried to clean all serviceable parts as i went with the time window i had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whipped her back together and fired her. She started for about 30 seconds before stalling but gave me a idea was the main issue is. Timing chains are extremely loud and will need replacing. Thought i would finish off the first night of having her with lowering it with some spare spring i had. Here's a few photos of the interior. The lights makes it look half decent ahah. Unfortunately its in very poor state.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next thing on the list to go is... you names it..
    [​IMG]

Next night i started to strip the motor cleaning the parts as i go so they are nice and clean for reinstalling.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now i was planning on just running the stock wheels but that was short lived when i seen a cheap set on facebook. The look has been done a million times but personally think it looks killer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo
    Now on the third day i had my mate that works at Holden to come take a look at the chains. I push pencils for a living and have heard the timing can be a pain to get correct in these to rather throw him a carton to install the new chains. After removing the chains we found the idler gear was completely flogged out and the right hand side chain loose due to the idler gear being worn baldly. After having to source one the next day for $159 at Holden them selves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Risky

Risky Guest

Nice ride there. I like the impulse blue. I thought at one stage there was more grass than oil in the engine bay.

Those black rims really give it a whole new look. The old ones look very similar to my original 16".

Lol & I thought I was bad cruising through sites for parts & bargains.

5. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Love the colour mate, may be biased though haha.
    Any chance of a sideon shot? Don't really want 20" but always wanted GTS's in black on my ute.

6. Heron SSV

Heron SSV Active Member

Members Ride:
    2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
    I love reading your threads. There's so many pics and details of what you've done. It's like reading a short story of awesomeness!

Shame about the Maloo. When's the VF coming :spot on:

7. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    looks like a good pickup , will be killer when all fixed up

8. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo

Ahah totally agree. She was a mess!

No problem mate. ill update it today and I have a few side shots :)

Thanks mate! you know how we do this ;) Im not going to get a VF JUST yet because I wont appreciate it. But mark my words im getting one.

Thanks dude!

More pages updates coming today and this weekend!

9. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo
    Now continuing. Where were we? Oh yeah the motor in a mission bits.

As i said above i tried cleaning everything as i went. Some photo's missed due to be covered in oil and getting late i night i just wanted it back together. New chains and idler gear in. Suprisinly this is one of the best alloytec's i have seen for oil sludge buildup.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turned the key and Bam she ran perfect! With the gaskets and glue being fresh i could only run it quickly to dump some oil flush through it and get that old oil out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New because the car has no rego it sat for a couple of days so had decent time for everything to set. Filled all fluids the next night and ran down and put rego on it.
    [​IMG]

Then i broke down... Realised the Alternator wasn't charging. Tested everything and could only come down to the alternator. Swapped it out and still had the issue. Pulled on the power cable and sure enough i found the issue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ASxTecH

ASxTecH Member

Members Ride:
    GenF LSA Maloo
    Now for the cleanup. Remove all stickers, badges. Also adjust the hand break. This one thing i always do to a new car and pet hate if the handbrake moves more then it should.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing you find in every new car. Sound system was installed by a 16 year old and mamas chips down the side of the seats.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More to come :) Also be picking up my next project tomorrow

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Wow you work fast! Looks great man, looks like it'd be a nice car to drive

12. Risky

Risky Guest

Sheesh that's a fair bit of work you've done there. I hope it's all sorted. Your leather seats came up exceptionally well.

If you're after trim you can still get new at the dealer & it's not expensive. Now's a good time to list what's worn & replace as I did that with mine. There will be a few bits & pieces you can't get, so go see The Commodore Shop in Cardiff Holden Commodore Spare Parts in Newcastle as when they get a car in, they strip it & store it on shelves instead of leaving it out in the elements. I highly recommend these guys.