Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In Car PC for Audio/DVD, etc

Byte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COmmodore
Please advise what you guys use as your InCar PC - in particular, where you locate this PC and what case is used?

Byte

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
I made my own case to fit my hj kinga, search ebay for an mini atx or itx motherboard, jaycar sell a moniter and psu

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
This is a bit technical for these forums, you should check out Mobile Electronics Australia.

That being said you can get ok cases of ebay that fit in a DIN SLOT, most of which arnt user upgradable. You can get double din complete carputers that are preety good alos.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
mp3car has been invalueable! i've seen all these mini itx atx boards in the boot and what not but i've seen an aopen XC PC under the dash. close to the screen no extension cables from the boot, no cables running up and back down the sil panel. and it actually looks good.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Marking thread.... would love to do something more permanent instead of the laptop which is ****ed from falling off the seat lol.

Byte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN COmmodore
THansk guys.

I guess the next question is - why use this pc type setup over head units?

Is the sound that much better from these pc's with the right stuff inside (i.e. 7.1 Surround SOund card, etc)?

Byte

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
THansk guys.

I guess the next question is - why use this pc type setup over head units?
Byte

GPS, DVD, MP3, MP4, AVI, CD, USB, Massive storage, MSN, Customized display, TV tuner, WI-FI, Email, Bluetooth, Games,

there are heaps more features if you want them but it is totaly up to you.
It is only limited by the software you install

Is the sound that much better from these pc's with the right stuff inside (i.e. 7.1 Surround SOund card, etc)?

Byte

you need to amp the sound, but after that you can get a heaps better sound because of EQ and sound enhancement software, plus 5.1 surround in your car.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
GPS, DVD, MP3, MP4, AVI, CD, USB, Massive storage, MSN, Customized display, TV tuner, WI-FI, Email, Bluetooth, Games,

there are heaps more features if you want them but it is totaly up to you.
It is only limited by the software you install

you need to amp the sound, but after that you can get a heaps better sound because of EQ and sound enhancement software, plus 5.1 surround in your car.

^ exactly!

Even if you want, keep your head unit for those short trips that you dont want to turn on ur PC for or visiting a dodgy area, u can still have radio and CD. Plug your PC into the headunit via AUX in and then you can still keep your remote for quick mutes adjusting the sound. Bonus ;)

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Wow, those links are awesome, ive always wanted to do some thing like this but never bothered to look into it, now spent hours reading.
When funds and a car that warrants it, my plan is
Mp3 player (to wirelessly stream my server for updates)
movies/dvds
GPS
Handsdree
Reverse cameras

Just something basic but cool, the GPS recievers are under 50 bux on ebay, Im thinking I might set it all up on the laptop as a dummy, then splash the cash on the hardware much later on down the track.
Cool as, new brainwave and project I dont need haha