Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In car smell

dantheman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Never had an issue with mine.

All I do is make sure I turn recirc off a few minutes before I switch the ac off.

I know cars that have recirc turned on all the time and they reek

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Never had an issue with mine.

All I do is make sure I turn recirc off a few minutes before I switch the ac off.

I know cars that have recirc turned on all the time and they reek
Yeah that’s a solution. But it’s an auto climate controlled system so it should manage everything itself without reeking ;)

Otherwise it’s like having a driverless car that needs someone to drive it :eek:

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
As much as Holden states that afterblow will remove mold smells, that’s not fully true as all afterblow can really do is stop mold growth from taking hold (and with no moisture mold dries out and flakes off to be blown around the vehicle - yuck).

If someone already has a mold smell in their cabin and it’s due to water inside the cabin, it will need considerable effort and cost to identify and fix. As such there shouldn’t be any thought of ‘hope that Holden will come to the party’ as there are known causes that Holden decided to handle via service bulletin on complaints to the dealers. They didn’t want to correctly address these known failure (which can only be done by sending letters to owners).

As such, if I had mold smell inside the cabin, I’d be looking for the source to be identified. This would require carpets and any underlay being taken out and inspected for mold and evaporator and ducts to also be inspected for mold. If mold is found, I’d expect any water ingress point identified and remedial action taken to stop further water entry. Then any and all mold and it’s spores must be killed via chemical wash (which in the case of mold on evaporator and ducts is a very big job to do correctly). I wouldn’t accept some simple spray in the duct type remedy. And if mold was under the carpets, I’d expect new underlay and carpets installed as it’s next to impossible to kill mold within carpet and underlay.

I’d expect this would be on Holden’s dime as there are known issues causing mold. And since there is no legal requirement to service with Holden, and they took no action to notify owners of these defects, they should be paying the bill.

I’d expect no less from any manufacturer.
Hey thanks for all of this good info. I am looking into all options. Legend

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
But it’s an auto climate controlled system so it should manage everything itself without reeking

Climate control to me is auto fan and heat control, not anti reek control :) But I've always run without AC for the last few minutes of driving as I remembered as a kid the cats piss type smell from my parents switching the car off with the AC running during the 90s.

Now that everything is software controlled, Holden have a solution for those who want to run AC all the way up to the time of switching off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Haha, cat piss smell reminds me of a horrible neighbors cat that marked my car as it’s property though it was only able to pee on the base of the windscreen once.

But yes, all s/w controlled these days so it does all the thinking itself (only if you know to ask to have afterblow turned on).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Climate control to me is auto fan and heat control, not anti reek control :) But I've always run without AC for the last few minutes of driving as I remembered as a kid the cats piss type smell from my parents switching the car off with the AC running during the 90s.

Now that everything is software controlled, Holden have a solution for those who want to run AC all the way up to the time of switching off.

Say what you wish about it being the driver's responsibility to be preorganised and manually switch the A/C off early prior to killing the engine but I don't have this problem with any of my other cars, just a 2016 Holden VF2 Commodore.

Seems to me there is something a little amiss that Holden should take credit for and not the driver.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Check the HVAC drain grommet isn't leaking fluid under your carpet. Pull off the passenger side centre console trim and look under the dash on the trans tunnel. Youll see a rubber grommet where the drain passes through the body. If it's a fat foam grommet it needs to be changed to the rubber one.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I’ve now had my Ute in at the dealership to determine the cause of the wet carpet smell I’ve been experiencing for the past few months.

To refresh what I’ve said earlier, the dealer removed the HVAC foam seal and replaced it with a rubber grommet as a routine precaution during a scheduled service back in May 2018 even though I had not experienced any smell or notice any dampness.

Skylarking gave me a heads up that because I’d had the grommet fitted it may be suffering from another known problem where a musty smell is emitted due to moisture remaining on the A/C evaporator after the car is turned off, so I spoke to the dealer about this when I booked the car in.

What they informed me was that the rubber grommet they’d fitted last year had not been fitted correctly and there was a small a gap allowing water through which had stained the underside of the floor carpet.

They’ve refitted the grommet and the car goes back in 2 weeks to have the carpet replaced.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@panheadI’d ask them to also check the carpet and underlay for any mold and replace them if any is found. Otherwise, the smell may go but the mold spores will remain dormant under the carpet for years. Ignore this post as I missed your last line that they are replacing the carpet (and presumably the underlay?).

Last edited: