Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In car smell

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
So my 2014 VF SS ute has this odd smell inside which only comes around the next day after running my aircon.
Its almost like a vinegary chemical smell but also smells like damp mould or urine.
Car is always garaged and hardly driven so theres no cats to piss on the vents.
When the aircon has been running for a while the smell goes away.
Ive changed the pollen filter, tested the heater core which has no leaks, filled the vents with an odor elimination spray and all to no avail.
This is driving me nuts.
One of my middle air vents isn't working but I don't think that is an issue in this cas.e
There has to be something I have missed. Any help would be much appreciated.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
Check to see if your a/c drain drain vent is clear,easy way to do it is run a/c on hot humid day and you will see water on the ground will mean drain isn’t blocked,drain comes out on pass side hump above gearbox,if blocked it leaks out under carpet pass side floor,lift carpet if wet drain blocked,if you want to see drain thru floor lay gut on pass side floor with torch you can see rubber pipe under dash into trans hump.

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
Thanks, yes I have tried that. No blockage there at all. Drains out fine.

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
You might have mould in your vents,do a search as it was mentioned here last couple of weeks on how to eradicate the smell,also do you have a cabin filter? if so it might need a change.

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
You might have mould in your vents,do a search as it was mentioned here last couple of weeks on how to eradicate the smell,also do you have a cabin filter? if so it might need a change.
Yea so I cleaned the vents. Put a chemical through it fro. Supercheap. It wasn't cheap. And I replaced the filter. No changes. I'm at a dead end.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
One of my middle air vents isn't working but I don't think that is an issue in this cas.e
There has to be something I have missed.

Check that vent ...

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
Thanks I will do. Apparently my radiator is leaking AGAIN, 3rd radiator. So do you think that smell might be coming through into the car overnight?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I find if you take out the pollen filter and run the aircon with the vent set to fresh air then spray some Glen 20 through where the filter sits it seems to fix it . I do that about every 6 months . Just make sure you change the settings from face to floor to screen to clean the whole system .

MGLOVER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS Ute
Thanks mate. Yea I have already tried this a couple of times.

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Do you shut the AC off and run the fan for a bit before you get to your destination? If not, then maybe try turning off the AC with 5 mins to go to your destination. It should hopefully dry everything up.