Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

In DESPERATE need of help from some gurus! Car just died after mods.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The car is misfiring. It's a tune, or component issue.

Leave the car where it is, tell them you expect them to pick it up from where it broke down x hours after leaving their shop.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Forgot to mention got new spark plugs and leads also

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am thinking your catalytic converter has collapsed

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi everyone, I won't bore you too much so i'll get to the point.

I have an 2011 E3 GTS and I literally just picked it up on friday afternoon from having the following done to it. Full Difillipo 3" system with 1-7/8 extractors, lifters replaced, OTR, stealth camshaft (which sure as hell isn't very stealthy!) tune and new spark plugs and leads but now my car has just died :(
It obviously is going to need to get back to the shop but currently the car is about 20kms or so away from it and I would like to avoid an expensive tow truck experience by at least getting the thing going and hopefully driving it a bit closer. So for those that are still reading here is what happened.......

I was in a 60km zone car in front was turning so i had to slow to about 30ish. Once i had room to pass the car i accelerated (not aggressively) as i did that there was a loud bang which seemed to come from the rear and i had no power, it spluttered for a few seconds then it seemed to be ok. Pulled into servo 20 meters down the road stopped the car had a look under couldn't see anything obviously wrong (not that i knew what i was looking for) went to start the car again and when i turned the key it just made a rapid clicking noise without turning over. Pulled the key out waited a few seconds and tried again, started fine and seemed to drive fine for the few kms down the road to the supermarket where i stopped and went in for 5-10 minutes. When i came out I started the car and it seemed fine. Drove down the road to the next place stopped for about another 5 minutes or so and once again the car started fine afterwards. I drive for another few kms where I stopped at a set of lights (i was at the front) accelerated like normal (not aggressive) but it felt sluggish so i pushed it a bit harder to get up to the 80km speed limit, all of a sudden it made a popping sound and i had no power, it started spluttering all over the place again and had no power like it was in some kind of spluttering limp mode. No matter how hard or soft i pushed the pedal it gave me the same amount of power and just made a terrible popping/spluttering noise.
I got it to the car park of a shopping centre where i turned it off hoping it would start up like it had done the last 3 times, but no :( It turns over and starts but splutters to a complete stop after a second or two. It seems like after that initial bang it didn't like being pushed, a slow steady acceleration and it was ok but if you gave it a bit foot it didn't like it.

Since i got it back there has also been a strange smell not petrol and i don't think its oil but it is a chemical smell I've never smelled before, not sure if that means anything.

On the Friday when i picked it up i did give it a short aggressive zap and it felt like the car over reacted to the amount of pedal i used. Like when you floor it and it and the car takes half a second then roars into life. It made a strange noise but gave me the power and a loud roar :) but didn't seem 100 percent. I just put it down to something i would have to get used to and continued my awesome driving experience on Friday.

Well if there is anyone out there that can help me get my car moving enough to get it back to the shop that would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE rain in the video is very loud so check your sound level. The louder it is the better you hear the noise though. Earbuds seem to be best. Also i noticed the Speedo says I'm doing 70kms but i was going nowhere near that probably only 40km if that!
:)

Last edited:

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Just got back from checking the car and now it won't start at all. It tries to start but won't crank over.
It's a very depressing and disappointing situation to be in but i guess I'll just have to hope the place helps me when i call them tomorrow.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they may have had battery terminals off when doing mods and may not have tightened when put back on ? can cause pump to loose power and fuel so ur issue could be a big miss fire also not starting issue sometimes

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
So the place that did the mods wouldn't pay for a tow so i had to pay for that myself (saw that coming). They say it is most likely the fuel pump but have a few more tests to carry out and say it wasn't anything they did so obviously I'll have to pay. I've read a lot about fuel pumps failing on other sites with GTS and how it could have something to do with the tune. Guess I'll wait for their pricing, just get it done and maybe look into getting another place check out their tune as soon as i can. :(

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
Another update: They NOW say they have replaced the fuel pump and suddenly there is no oil pressure and now car needs a new oil pump!!!
In my video you can clearly see that there was oil pressure and it is sitting exactly where it usually is. A few minutes after i took that video the car was in a parking spot and didn't move until Monday when it was towed to the place to be looked at.

They replaced all the fluids as part the cost of the modifications so is this their fault that their trying to cover up and make me pay for? Do they have to touch oil pump as part of the modifcations?

upload_2019-7-2_11-44-36.png

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
The oil pump is driven straight off the front of the crank. Shouldnt need to be touched when doing a cam install afaik.
I think the worst thing you did was continue to drive it after the initial issue. When something like that happens, continuing to drive it can make the problem a whole lot worse or even damage other parts. But, i do understand your predicament of distance from the shop/home and the expensive tow truck. I would have called them straight away and made a scene about them picking it up or paying for the tow