Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

increasing amp output??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can I increase my amps output if I have four speaker jacks yet I only have two speakers connected. Can I join the jacks together, essentially doubling the output into the one set of speakers??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
some if not most amps support bridging terminals, the cheapo you have may not support it.

it's generally labelled on the amp above the speaker outputs/terminals

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought it from Autobarn years ago and it wasn't a cheap eBay amp. It's just a US Audio though nothing expensive. It's fairly small in size so I could fit it under the seat of my Jeep. I Googled bridging but it's a bit confusing. It says bridging lowers the ohms and I would need 2ohms speakers, which I assume is sub?? It's loud but I would like it louder. I have two options a second set of speakers or put more drive into the fronts. If I can double the drive on the fronts that would be easier than making speaker boxes and mounting them up near the head rests. If it is all too hard I will look at my original plan of 4 speakers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It says bridge. So how do I bridge? Do I connect wires between the outputs on the amp? Will I need 2ohm speakers? I have always had 4 speakers so bridging is a bit new to me.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
sorry
mate, saw a thread about identify this amp and thought it was you that had the unknown brand. Didn't mean to come across as rude if I did.

normally to bridge the channels, you link + from channel 1 and - from channel 2 to 1 speaker, and + channel 3 and - channel 4 to the other speaker.

it will have a solid line across the channels to enable bridges mode

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All good mate, I was wondering if you was thinking I was the bloke with the eBay amp. The bridging I get now thanks. Will bridging reduce the resistance, meaning I need 2ohm speakers? I only have 4 ohm speakers. That being the case I will stick with the old plan and make speaker boxes.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
nup, you won't need 2 ohm speakers, cause the amps doing the bridging, it only increases the power output to the speakers. If you where to joint 2 sets of speakers to the single amp + & - terminal, that's when you change the ohms.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just to clarify I put the wire from the speakers to the new configuration and then run a short jumper lead to link the two vacant spots together, which will be the vacant - & +? It sounds so simple but having never done it I need to get my head around it and Google isn't helping much.

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
so normal amp, showing channels
aid14973-v4-728px-Bridge-an-Amplifier-Step-4-Version-2.jpg

amp with channels 1 & 2 in bridged mode
Bridge-an-Amplifier-Step-7-Version-2.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score