Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Increasing Height of my car

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
ConstantVelocity just beat me to it. From VL-VS that 'Country Pack' suspension option was available. It is coded 'V5W' on the compliance plate. I don't know if it was carried across into VT- as a production option but the philosophy might be applied.

The Adventra may not use taller springs (alone?) to achieve extra ride height. As just one example, the Subaru Outback uses spacers between the vehicle body and suspension sub-frames to lift the body. Otherwise, at least in the locating parts, the suspension is the same as Liberty and Impreza.

settled , I'll buy a van.. So the suspension expert isn't a expert then . Don't go to Pedders guys. Just wanted to make a quick buck.

That may be a harsh judgement. Suspension systems are always a compromise. It's a matter of preference to prioritise ground clearance or grip.

Last edited:

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I just got a vt wagon as a work vehicle/tow hack and needed heavier springs in the rear as it was dragging the back when loaded, king springs do a load carrying spring, khhrl 69 hd from memory, and this raised the back end a lot!!! like adventura height. I am going to have to raise the front now to suit (work takes me off road anyway, so sorta a good thing as I have clearance issues at the minute anyway.)

Car sways about more, but cant go hard with a boot full of tools anyway.

does anyone know if std v8 springs will raise the front on a v6 by much? Looking for a cheap way to get the front up a bit

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I just got a vt wagon as a work vehicle/tow hack and needed heavier springs in the rear as it was dragging the back when loaded, king springs do a load carrying spring, khhrl 69 hd from memory, and this raised the back end a lot!!! like adventura height. I am going to have to raise the front now to suit (work takes me off road anyway, so sorta a good thing as I have clearance issues at the minute anyway.)

does anyone know if std v8 springs will raise the front on a v6 by much? Looking for a cheap way to get the front up a bit

Chucking higher springs in will give you fk all real clearance. Diff height will be negligible and front lower control arms will be at a **** angle, and still giving you clearance issues. Only way to get proper ground clearance is to put bigger tyres on.

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Chucking higher springs in will give you fk all real clearance. Diff height will be negligible and front lower control arms will be at a **** angle, and still giving you clearance issues. Only way to get proper ground clearance is to put bigger tyres on.

?????? you are on drugs mate. I'm not talking some sort of crazy off road madness, but things like badly potholed driveways and large speed bumps/kerbs with a fully laden (3.1 tonnes last trip over the scales at the tip) commodore wagon that was hitting everything but now clears it all (except the front as it is still stock height).
door sills no longer hit anything, the exhaust doesn't scrape anymore, towball doesn't smash the road leaving my driveway, is this not more clearance or am I somehow mistaken???

Car has irs so diff is higher, but does not matter as I have never had a diff hit a speed bump.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I think I've seen king springs which raise the height a bit, generally used for towing but I guess it would help give a bit of extra clearance on crap roads.

And it would probably still handle better than half the guys who put SSSL springs in and have the arse of the car dragging on the ground

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

Get the same springs you have in the back... King springs raised front springs shouldn't be more than $140 on eBay.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
?????? you are on drugs mate. I'm not talking some sort of crazy off road madness, but things like badly potholed driveways and large speed bumps/kerbs with a fully laden (3.1 tonnes last trip over the scales at the tip) commodore wagon that was hitting everything but now clears it all (except the front as it is still stock height).
door sills no longer hit anything, the exhaust doesn't scrape anymore, towball doesn't smash the road leaving my driveway, is this not more clearance or am I somehow mistaken???

Car has irs so diff is higher, but does not matter as I have never had a diff hit a speed bump.

Notice I said "real clearance".

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
Notice I said "real clearance".

QUOTE]

versus the "pretend" clearance that I have gained???

No, because you still have low hanging suspension components.Therefore throwing higher springs in alone doesn't fix that. It will increase sill height, and your OP didn't make it clear that this is all you were chasing.

That being said, if you're loading your car up that much, and then having to throw higher springs in because it isnt coping then maybe you should do the responsible thing and spend the money on a work vehicle more suited to your needs.

Sent from here, so you can read it there. via iPhone.

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
hmm I can see where you are going with the whole bigger wheel thing, but over a couple of percent bigger becomes illegal and gears up the car too much ( already looking at shorter diff gears)

This for me is a good work vehicle, and I see no issue with putting firmer suspension in to fix up the saggy rear end. I know people with "proper" work utes that carry loads often that stiffen suspension to cope.

In regards to suspension component clearance, this is no issue to me as i'm not driving down any rutted tracks anywhere near so bad that they will hit, big speed bumps, gutters, badly angled driveways etc were my concern and I clear them all now.