Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Increasing speed on highways?

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Our national standard speed on highways is 100kph, with some hitting 110kph.

Do you think as cars safety features become more advanced that highway speed limits should increase? Or they should stay the same?

Personally I’m sitting on the fence. I think they should increase to become relative to cars but at the same time they shouldn’t due to the fact that the car can’t drive itself, it’s the person sitting in it. No point having a car that can brake from 100 to 0 in 3 seconds if it takes the person 3 seconds to react. Then that leads to another form of highway travelling, automation. BMW have already proven this technology could be implemented into today’s world.

Every time I watch a movie based in the future, highway always seem to be travelling at 200kph with the driver happily plodding along like its the norm, yes its a movie I know lol but do you think this will ever become a reality? Will we get speeding tickets for doing 170 in a 150 zone?

Your thoughts :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It'll never happen in this granny state. Never. Not unless there's a big attitude change, and stronger emphasis on driver education, as opposed to punishment.

Until other drivers can learn to concentrate and drive their own damn cars at low speed, I wouldn't feel safe on a freeway with other idiots doing 150kph around me. Australia has such a low standard of drivers it's not funny.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
BMW have actually proven that doesn't work, at the cost of writing off 3 brand new cars!

I think the open road should be higher, but only places that bypass towns. Maybe 140 at a max.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Yeah i dunno, mabye on major freeways it could go up a bit but on some of our highways down here doing 100 kays is scary enough!

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, open interstates could use with a bit of a boost - but then only on dual carriageways. You still have the issue of trucks travelling at lower speeds on the same road as people doing 140 (or whatever speed you want to choose)... and then Learners in NSW doing 80 and P Platers doing 90 (as if they actually do). That's gotta be a recipe for disaster :)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
hey i actually do 90 on highways, if its single lane i pull over and let the people past occasionally also. but no itll never happen in this country.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Unfortunately,

1: The average Australian motorist isn't capable of driving at higher speeds and being able to concentrate.

2: Our highways are not suitable for high speeds.

3. Cars on Australian roads are not suitable to drive at high speeds.

Take European countries as an example. They are used to driving at 180km/h on their autobahns. Heck, We don't even know how to merge on a freeway without almost killing someone. Their roads are well maintained and even their crappy taxis are BMW's and Merc's. Could you imagine average Joe driving on Sydney's M4 at 160km/h in their little Barina or even an '86 Magna? Driving an EA falcon more than 100km/h is dangerous at the best of times.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
BMW have actually proven that doesn't work, at the cost of writing off 3 brand new cars!

If you're talking about what I think you are (the smart braking feature they have) that was because they forgot to turn the feature on before demonstrating it! It does work.. when you turn it on!

As for speed limits, they seem to be going down, not up. I can't see speed limits getting any higher as long as humans are behind the wheel. Put a computer there and they probably will, but only once you clear away all the humans ;)

Plus, while technology has gotten better (ESP, ABS, more airbags, crumple zones etc) unless you legislate that ALL cars must have ESP etc then you can't rely on that technology to save people, because cheap cars won't have it.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
We might be talking about different things. The system that failed was definitely operational when they ****ed up.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
id say 110kmh is safe enough for most incompetent drivers out there (99% of the driving population).