Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Increasing speed on highways?

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
BMW have actually proven that doesn't work, at the cost of writing off 3 brand new cars!

I think the open road should be higher, but only places that bypass towns. Maybe 140 at a max.

Are you sure that was BMW? I've seen a couple a doco's on Mercedes trying new crash avoidance radar that crashed at its testing launch lol :p

Clarkson drove a BMW around the track that was fully automated. I remember seeing a demonstration about BMW and some new self driving technology. A camera mounted on the rear vision mirror pointing forwards measured the distance in between the white lines and kept the car smack bang in the middle of the lane. That combined with "active cruise" is pretty much an automated car :)

Biggest wank factor thou :p

YouTube - Self-driving BMW

YouTube - New BMW 7-Series: The Technology part 2

YouTube - Top Gear Mercedes S Class

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
yeah must be Merc.

It was the setup front and rear that was supposed to stop collisions (automatic braking)

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
i do not see why speed limits can not be raised on certain roads. it works over seas.

if a road has 3 lanes you have 1 lane for slow traffic, middle lane for fast traffic and outside lane for overtaking. the problem why we could not have it work here is so many people forget to move back to the left lane after they overtake.

In the Uk the minute you overtake you move over to the left. no one at all passes on your left. you will never see that happen.

But we need to push the keep left rule first. even doing this you will find the roads will become safer.

It will also sort out the good from the bad drivers.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Do you think as cars safety features become more advanced that highway speed limits should increase? Or they should stay the same?

This is negated with how stupid people are becoming.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
The majority of the roads won't take it. 95% of the roads I drive on, on a day to day basis, are single lane. Double is a rare occurrence. Overtaking lanes in some places are a rare occurrence. Combine that with 100+ and you're looking at definite fatalities.

If the entire nation was a 2 lane/3 lane highway, people knew how to merge, and knew to move left. Sure, go for it. But it's not happening.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
We might be talking about different things. The system that failed was definitely operational when they ****ed up.

We're all talking about this right?
Mercedes crash test scandal - drive.com.au
I see you're right Stealthy, I hadn't seen the later coverage saying it was a scam.

Lexus models all have crash avoidance radars, they don't work in quite the same way, but they do work.

In the Uk the minute you overtake you move over to the left. no one at all passes on your left. you will never see that happen.

But we need to push the keep left rule first. even doing this you will find the roads will become safer.

I know! I wish I'd stayed there :cry:

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
i think about 130km/h would be about right for dual carriageways and freeways out of the greater metro area eg beyond pakenham and Deer Park etc, but the urban freeways could probably be 110km/h. Modern cars handle 130 very comfortably and feel quite stable, 150 is probably pushing i'd say.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Whilst some refer to "higher limits work overseas", proper analysis of the stats in those countries show the accident rate is high for such roads as the autobahns.
The road needs to be nearly billiard table flat to cope with even 130km/h and not have even new cars bounce and float around. Whilst a high population such as germany can afford to do that with their limited amounts of autobahn, australia is totally the opposite we have the highest amount of road per head on the planet and would put everyone of us into further debt to even upgrade a minority of roads.
Have you ever been to Germany, it is simply ridiculous. The average trip on the autobahn is less than 20km, people get on there and feel they have to do 140km/h+, doing 180km/h+ in a family station wagon( I wasnt driving) was simply one of the most frightening things Ive ever experienced with some cars going 60km/h faster or slower. Really, they exist because a small group of German people have bullied the authorities in to believing they will lose office unless they provide them. No one has a real need to move from A to B that quickly.

No I think 110km/h on our best freeways is fine, why are some people so fixated on being able to drive as fast as their car will go?

Enjoy the ride, enjoy the scenery. Use your vehicles higher level of roadholding to achieve extra safety at the present limit, rather than increasing your speed to reduce you safety to the levels of cars made in the 60s.

Also consider that fuel consumption(which relates directly to greenhouse emissions) rises exponentially for speeds over 80km/h as do your chances of having an accident. It certainly wont help meet emission targets and would be a good reason why it will never happen whilst we have responsible politicians in charge.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Many of the roads in Australia can't even be driven on at 100 in any kind of safety. But the bigger roads around the city's should be no brainer safe at 130 or so, might want a seperate lane for the trucks and keep them out of the way and at 100 just to be sure :). I'd be much happier if there was some decent high speed trains linking at aleast all the major citys

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Stealthy.... Commisiracs post was actually good for a change, yet you continue to bag him.

I agree with it all.