Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Indicators Won't Work?!

Pplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive '96
Okay, driving home from work today my indicators stopped working and to make it worse there was a nice bright green cop behind me, got pulled over and nearly got out of a fine for not indicating around a round-a-bout..

Anywho, I've looked up past threads and followed some of their tips, here's the thing. My hazards haven't worked since owning the car (5-6 months) and i read that the windscreen wipers and indicators share the same spark plug thing. I tested the wind screen wipers and they are working fine, and went the car is unlocked via central locking the indicators work they just don't work, flash or sound when in drive.

What do you think the problem is and what is a cheapish way to fix it? Spark plugs?

Oh, and my hazards work now fine?!

Cheers!

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo

Dont mess with anything and take it to an auto electrician.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
I am assuming that when you said 'spark plug thing" you were talking about the fuse, if so then check all the other fuses in behind the driver side dash/kick panel and also check fuses and relays in the engine bay in the black box on the left hand side.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i never knew lights had spark plugs.

but as above take it to an auto elec normally these problems will be way more then just a blown fuse or globe.

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
Ok at the start you say your hazzards dont work then at the end you say they do um which 1 is it??

Has your indicators worked for the last 5-6 months??

I had a problem with a vr that when the central locking was pressed the indicators would flash no probs but as soon as you indicated there was nothing.
Found out it was a dodgy hazzard switch, replaced that and all was good again.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
If you think the lights are related to spark plugs you need to have a professional look at it or at least someone that knows the basics at least.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Okay, driving home from work today my indicators stopped working and to make it worse there was a nice bright green cop behind me, got pulled over and nearly got out of a fine for not indicating around a round-a-bout..

"Nearly" meaning you got fined for not indicating at a roundabout?? :rofl:

Anywho, I've looked up past threads and followed some of their tips, here's the thing. My hazards haven't worked since owning the car (5-6 months) and i read that the windscreen wipers and indicators share the same spark plug thing. I tested the wind screen wipers and they are working fine, and went the car is unlocked via central locking the indicators work they just don't work, flash or sound when in drive.

What do you think the problem is and what is a cheapish way to fix it? Spark plugs?

Oh, and my hazards work now fine?!

Cheers!

Since your hazards work fine I'd suggest your spark plugs are probably fine. I'd be looking at the center bearing of the tail shaft or rear brake pads. Both of those commonly wear out on old Commodores and give trouble. :thumbsup:

Reaper

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
The path of least pain for you would be an auto elec.
A competent mechanic should also have no trouble with this.

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Take the above advice that a couple of members have given, take it to an auto electrician and get it sorted, might be costly but it's better than doing damage by poking around yourself.