Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Info Needed - Vc V6 Speedo Adapter

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
After info on sorting the speedo on a vc commodore with a Vn V6 & vn vp 4l60, been told theres an adapter you can buy thats both cable & has the speed sensor as well. Trying to find out what theyre called & if theyre on ebay, i'm in Nz so not a lot of info over here. Cheers for any help......

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I believe V6 Conversions also has what you're after.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
you can either use an inline pulse generator (2 pulse per revolution), or a t piece adapter. Inline generator is better though - nicer fit and slimmer chance of leaking oil.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Slightly off topic, does the T5 manual transmission use a 2 pulse signal as well? I'm looking to hook one up behind an l67 ecotec. The tacho pulse is different too, yes?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Slightly off topic, does the T5 manual transmission use a 2 pulse signal as well? I'm looking to hook one up behind an l67 ecotec. The tacho pulse is different too, yes?
I think one uses a square wave signal and the other uses a sine wave signal or something like that? Not exactly sure on the T5 VSS

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
vn-vp should be drive output (screw on sensor 3 wire) so just a adapter with sensor to cable will work fine, can get them in 2-4-6-8-10 pulse, cable should be correct speed for the VC dash if diff ratios ect are the same, the 3 wire screw on is square wave T5 manual, the vr- above auto has 2 wire sine wave, the getrag has a 2 wire inductive type sine wave

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
Thanks guys, that was quick. I later found this in another thread:

"There is also a few issues with speed sensor due to a t5 being a hall effect and the PCM only accepting a Sinewave type."

So, I take it I can't change what type of wave the pcm wants through the memcal tune? I know I have to change it to remove the VATS and tick the manual flags (to put it into the early girl), but it will still want the standard sine wave input to the computer rather than the squared off wave?

@07GTS, out of curiosity do you know if the pulses per second from the l67 tacho signal match the vc factory tacho signal? I think the v8 one does, but I can't remember for the life of me. It would make it a hell of a lot simpler if that would just join together.

Thanks

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I eventually got my L67 PCM to accept a Hall effect signal, the tuner worked out there is an unused terminal on the PCM that can read a hall effect signal, i actually cant remember which pin it is though.
The pulse Per km is way way out when you first plug it in, something like 60ks was registering as 15kph, that has to be adjusted in the tune.

So you can do a hall effect sensor into a L67 PCM.

The V6 DFI wont drive a 6cyl tacho as its a 5v pulse from memory, i put an opto-coupler in my tacho to make it work. Essentially reads the 5v pulse and mimics with its own 2 wire connection.
Before i did that though it would work at idle with a lot of accessories running when the bat voltage drops down. Soon as you revved it would drop back to zero and then pop up to 900 when it idled. I took the belt off to experiment and it sort of worked but not properly.

SquishyShoes

or something like that
Reaction score
Members Ride
Shoes
So when you say terminal, you mean one of the physical pin outs? Not something within the bin file? Or is that something to ask your tuner?
Was the opto-coupler something you had to get from a specialty store or just from ebay?

Cheers