Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
new to this site.
looking for a manual vs ute as a first car.
any information would help as in problems or what to look for while buying.
also would like to slowly chuck a few mods on the ute if funds persist so any suggestions on that would help.
cheers.

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
hey mate good choice on the first car, plenty of things to look for, clutch wear (not cheap to replace in the getrag box, series 2 onwards), oil leaks(rear main seal, rocker covers), diff wear and backlash, dont be put off by the sloppy shifter its a common getrag problem . . . .. etc etc the list can keep going on,

basic mods that i did on mine were, lowered, 18s, 2.5" catback exhuast, CAI, big stereo system, etc basic bolt ons really

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the info mate.
sounds like the usual wear and tear for a car of its age.
the mod's you have done sound about the same as i have planned, just have to save those pennys first.
thanks.

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
Welcome mate, yeah I agree with everything gustov said. Fortunately nearly all of the VS Utes are manuals, however prices for a ute skyrocket over the prices for a sedan. (Every P plater wants a VS Ute).

I bought my first car few months ago, like you i wanted a vs ute, but the prices of them were so high compared to a sedan, i just settled with a manual vs sedan. So that could be an option for you if you have limited funds. Finding a manual sedan is pretty tricky though, however best of luck and let us know how it goes.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers Jimmy2228, i would be looking at a sedan its only that seeing with these victorian p plate laws and not being able to tow a trailer a ute is the way to go seeing as i need to cart around goods and my dirt bike, plus the utes get you out of carrying around heaps of mates;)
i would be looking at spending a max amount of around 8 grand on a vs ute, preferably with a few things already done seeing as mods can be pricey.
thanks heaps for the info.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Make sure you buy the 2 seater one, not a 3 seater.

3 seater consoles are crap!

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks stealthy.
i was planning on that two, while looking at 3 seaters realised it had no center console, and changing gears that close to someone, shudder.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
thanks stealthy.
i was planning on that two, while looking at 3 seaters realised it had no center console, and changing gears that close to someone, shudder.

Not sure about VS, but VN and VP have column shifts.
But yeah, its bad enough with a console when using first gear! Don't want to think what it'd be like with another person there!

I want a ute for the lack of rear seats part, although i'm pretty good at making sure i rarely have back seat passengers!

Can also get the standard sticker for the back 'Yes i have a ute, NO i wont help you move'

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
stealthy agree with you there, lack of rear seats is a positive i reckon, especially with the way petrol is going up and down, less passengers = :thumbsup:
and i have seen a few vs with the bench seat and column gears but just think that is an inconvenience .
thanks heaps for your info mate.

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Definitely go for the 2 seater, a 3 seater in a ute is madness especially with the right hand side hand brake. What a stupid idea :bang:

Thank god i was patient and found my Holden VS Ute coupled with a 5 speed manual and 2 seater :dance: all for $7000 over here in SA which has overrated car prices for some reason.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Matt