Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Infotainment + Interior Lights + Fuel Gauge Not working

JC1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II
Hi. My son plugged in a TomTom into the USB port in the centre console and immediately the infotainment system shut down (blank screen) and the fuel and temperature gauges stopped working. Tried turning the ignition off and on, and have even disconnected the battery for 10 minutes but cannot rectify this problem. When I start the ignition, the holden symbol flashes up on the screen as it normally does when booting, but within half a second blanks out to a black screen and is completely non responsive (no audio, no visuals - completely dead). I read the manual and it does warn not to plug in digital devices such as hard drives etc into the USB as this can cause malfunction or even destroy the audio system. Hoping there might be a solution someone might have (that doesn't involve replacing the system)? Thanks for your help.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
should be a fuse for those items, may be in the boot or passenger kick panel

JC1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II
should be a fuse for those items, may be in the boot or passenger kick panel
Thanks, I'll look for a fuse for the temp and fuel gauge - already tried fuse for infotainment (removed and replaced). The fact that the system flashes up with the holden logo for half a second or so after starting the ignition leads me to believe the infotainment part is not fuse related, however I'll try anything! Thanks again

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the fuel and temp drop to zero its usually a communication issue, i think there is a fuse out in engine bay for comms also worth a try

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks, I'll look for a fuse for the temp and fuel gauge - already tried fuse for infotainment (removed and replaced). The fact that the system flashes up with the holden logo for half a second or so after starting the ignition leads me to believe the infotainment part is not fuse related, however I'll try anything! Thanks again

If you on the South East Side of the Melbourne [Bayside Area],
your welcome to call in, and do a Scan, to see what codes it may have created.
PM if you are interested.

JC1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II
Hey Krusing, thanks heaps for the offer mate, but I managed to sort out the issue last night. This forum is an amazing resource - I never mentioned that my car was an ex police car, but stumbled on a thread that mentioned a switch near the sunglass holder / interior lights that ex cop cars have which shuts down much of the dash (like a stealth mode feature). I hit that switch and everything worked (infotainment, temp and fuel gauges etc). We haven't had the car long and I had no idea about this switch. So glad I used this forum and that the solution ended up being so simple.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Also, if you hold the both dash dimmer buttons, the ones above the head light switch, that does the same.