Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Infringement contesting

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
How many of you contest certain infringement notices that you receive?

I have contested one and they have said that you are only allowed one letter to prove your point...they didn't even read my second letter.

How many times do you write to try and contest a certain infringement?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I contested my first one. Went to court where my barrister then advised me the lawyer who gave me advice was an idiot and it was cheaper to plead guilty. So just got the infringement back.... with no conviction with some great refernces by highly regarded figures. I only said i was contesting it once and that i wanted the matter heard in court.

Second one i didn't bother fighting, i was speeding, got pulled over and accepted it.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
I contested my first one. Went to court where my barrister then advised me the lawyer who gave me advice was an idiot and it was cheaper to plead guilty. So just got the infringement back.... with no conviction with some great refernces by highly regarded figures. I only said i was contesting it once and that i wanted the matter heard in court.

Second one i didn't bother fighting, i was speeding, got pulled over and accepted it.

What sort of offence was it? Did they summon you to court or did you take it to court?

I got pulled over for the P1 passenger law, I'm writing my 3rd letter at the moment.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I challenged a speeding fine I got, didn't even need to attend court. Apparently I was doing 120 in a 100 zone through a camera just off the westgate bridge outbound. Funnily enough, we had a Hyatt motel checkout receipt, Hyatt hotel carpark pay receipt and a nice cctv camera image of us leaving the car park 2 minutes after the fine occurred. Sadly they didn't want to challenge all this documentation and dropped the fine.

CoMrAdE MaRx23

CoMrAdE MaRx23
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
Wow a clean driving record for 10 years! Entire civilizations have risen and fell in less time!

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Challenged a "defect" notice i copped from TMU. My rego sticker read 1350kg, the cars actualy weight is 1610. They said i was a kilowatt or two over the legal limit (i forget how much exactly) so i rang HSV, gave them my VIN etc, they hand wrote me out a letter with all the specs of my specific car on it with the VIN number and correct weight.

then i made my way into Vicroads, showed them all my documentation, they printed me a new rego sticker with the correct weight, then i mailed off the papers the rego sticker came on, a copy of the letter from HSV and the "defect" notice i was issued with a typed and signed letter explaining everything that i typed up, then 2 weeks later i recieved a letter from TMU stating they had withdrawn the fine etc and no further action would be taken.

Bit of fart assing around, but ****ed if i was going to pay a fine of like $400 for a car i was actually allowed to drive.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's funny really, if oyu are charged with murder or any other serious crime it is upto the police to "prove beyond a reasonble doubt" that you are guilty. with minor infringements it's very much the other way around, you need to prove your innocence. a good majority of the police officers i have come into contact with over the year don't really know the law all that well, almost got arrested for arguing with a police officer issuing me a defect (the only one i've ever had) even though the officer was wrong. i then had to prove otherwise. that cost me. in these cases the police department should be liable for costs incured in "proving your innocence".

i totally agree that the police departments these days have a extremly tough job to do, however working on the assumption that they " get it right" most of the time doesn't stack up. if i said to my boss that i "iget it right" most of the time i would have been fired a long time ago.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
What sort of offence was it? Did they summon you to court or did you take it to court?

I got pulled over for the P1 passenger law, I'm writing my 3rd letter at the moment.
The offence i challenged was failure to obey traffic signal. It was at a collision scene, cop wasn't bright, there was no way i ran the red light based on how the collision happened in the intersection and photos all proved that. But still the cop saw a VR commodore with a P plate which was only 6 cylinder (instant "hoon") classification. Ignore the 23yo guy driving the S2000 (sporty car) and go for the p plater driving the family car. I reckon he was paid off, but that's another story.

I said i wanted to challenge the fine, summons came in the mail (mind you 8 months later) and court case was held just under 12 months from the collision.

macca01

Reaction score
Members Ride
n/a
how do u contest infringment notices? im in WA, and got pulled for HOLDING my phone, not using- 3 demerit points and $250 fine