Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injector help....!

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Hey fellas...

Look been wanting to do something with my injectors in my VS II 3.8L for a while now but there are a few things I was hoping you guys could clear up for me before going ahead...Ya see the injectors have never been cleaned or replaced since the car rolled out the factory...now I have a good feeling that they are glogged up and no doubt full of **** thus being the reason my car is running a bit pooey lately...I went to autobarn (which a regret) and asked them for some injector cleaner...they gave me this crap which you are supposed to put something like 20ml per tank until the bottle is empty...so its like a cycle...so I only put it through 3 tanks didnt I...got lazy and thought I might do more harm than good then realised that by stoppoing it I probably did **** myself up by just stirring the gunk all up and not allowing the stuff to do its job...anyway...

I have been speaking to a few people and have heard all kinds of weird stuff...I was originally thinking about just taking mine out and getting them cleaned...then I heard I should put VT/VX ones in it as they are a little more higher flowing than the VS ones & would marginally make it go better...Ive heard people tell me to put 5.0L ones in it which I didnt think possible...Ive had people tel lme V^ supercharged ones in it...Ive heard people tell me put ford motorsport ones in it and ive also had people tell me to put VL turbo ones in it...the most wackiest yet most common thing I have been told believe it or not is to put magna V6 injectors in it...which really shocked me...alot of people that have custom tuned cars say these injectors are the way to go. So there are alot of things that have scattered my mind on this. Im just not understanading it all because im thinking if you get higher flowing wont that make the engine run more richer and stuff things up and all that stuff...just want to know what will be safe...anyway...I dont understand much about injectors or the way they work and my car is far from a custom tuned car...basically what I want to know is what ones would be best to put in it that will not affect the computer or anything else yet possibly give me a slight benefit over putting stock ones back in it. Like a could probably get a cleaned out set of VX inhectors for the same price as cleaning out my own and if it gives me a benefit I would be better off at doing that if that makes sense...All that is done to my car is CAI, K&N filter, Redback sports exhaust and top gun leads...thats about it so yeah...I am very soon to get a bigger throttle body and get a tuned memcal off Dr.bob. so if that needs to be taken into account in order for you to decide...then yeah...I would really like to get my mind made up on this so any help is much appreaciated guys...

Cheers, Joe :thumbsup:

NeilB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I would just get your current injectors serviced. If they have gone OK so far and you are not starving for fuel they are big enough. If you take them out yourself most places charge around $20 to $30 for a clean and refurbish with new filters and grommets and all. If you leave them in and get them to do it you will need to pay labour but if your not handy it is probly worth getting them to do it probly be another $80 odd bucks!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
as said above, just get yours cleaned. also change the fuel filter etc. i put a bottle of injector cleaner through the car everytime i do a service i.e. oil, oil filter, injector cleaner, fuel filter (every second service), plugs (every second service). there are many reasons your car could be running badly, do all the simple things first. another thing that probably want doing is to clean the Throttle body and IAC valve. another common problem with the VS is vacuum leaks, check all the vacuum lines around the TB, especially if you have a slightly rough idle and higher fual usage then normal etc

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
as said above, just get yours cleaned. also change the fuel filter etc. i put a bottle of injector cleaner through the car everytime i do a service i.e. oil, oil filter, injector cleaner, fuel filter (every second service), plugs (every second service). there are many reasons your car could be running badly, do all the simple things first. another thing that probably want doing is to clean the Throttle body and IAC valve. another common problem with the VS is vacuum leaks, check all the vacuum lines around the TB, especially if you have a slightly rough idle and higher fual usage then normal etc

yeah ive done all the obvious thigs such as the plugs, leads, fuel filter and cleaning of the Throttle Body & IAC. only thing I havent done is the vacum lines which a few people have told me do...what exactly is involved in this...any diagrams or a description would be great...thanks mate...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
there is a purge hose that attaches to the bottom ofthe TB that seems to come of quiet a bit, the other thing to check is the vacuum canister under the pasenger side gaurd in front of the wheel and the vacuum line that runs from that.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Magna injectors are the same as VNgrp A & need a tune to work
V6 s/c injectors flow more again & need a tune
VT actually flow marginally less than VS, should be tuned but run ok
5.0 injectors flow the same as V6
LS1 injectors flow the same as magna, 5.7 stroker but have a different spray pattern & *MAY* cause valve problems

just get yours serviced & save yourself a lot of pain

Rob

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nice work Doctor Bob. I hope you had to look that up. Your a freak if you rememebered it. :thumbsup:

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks heaps for the info guys...! appreaciate it...will be getting my ones cleaned out...Cheers, Joe :thumbsup:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Magna injectors are the same as VNgrp A & need a tune to work
V6 s/c injectors flow more again & need a tune
VT actually flow marginally less than VS, should be tuned but run ok
5.0 injectors flow the same as V6
LS1 injectors flow the same as magna, 5.7 stroker but have a different spray pattern & *MAY* cause valve problems

just get yours serviced & save yourself a lot of pain

Rob

really?...i was under the impression that vt injectors flowed more than vs ones. whats the difference?

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
really?...i was under the impression that vt injectors flowed more than vs ones. whats the difference?

What I thought and was also told by a guy at Holden...

Anyway...I can get a set of VS injectors that have been ultrasonic cleaned, flow tested, new filters & tips and all that crap etc etc for $80 Change over...is this a good price???

Cheers, Joe:thumbsup: