Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet Manifold Corrosion 3.8L V6 2002

JMann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm Ute 3.8l V6
Hi everyone.

Recently I have been working on my Ute. Started with the broken crap in the interior, and finally onto oil leaks. I replaced the rocker cover gaskets, the trany cooler in front of the radiator, was weeping fluid out through the radiator and over the engine, replaced that, the oil sensor etc. Flushed the cooling sytem and replaced the fluid and knock sensors (Clips disintegrated). Then after a while I noticed some oil leaking from the front and rear manifold seals. I knew the manifold gaskets needed replacing so I ordered a full upper set and injector kit and started pulling the top off.
I noticed the manifold bolts were not at the correct torque (loose) and the Loctite felt non-existent. The gaskets and seals was indeed f*@ked and the RTV still held every
thing together nicely.

The heads surface seemed ok (the case was a f*@king mess) and I stated cleaning the carbon and crap from the inlet manifold components.
Now I have the inlet manifold surface clean I find it to be corroded.

20211019_023415.jpg

The Good side. Looks ok not awesome but ok.

20211019_022908.jpg

The bad side.

You can see where the coolant (or lack of it) has been following along the gasket line into the intake port on the left-hand side of the image. Damn. That’s not stain that's light pits of corrosion.
So, my question is, is it stuffed or can I salvage it?
What are my options?
I thought about resurfacing it on glass or at a machine shop, but then it won’t really fit properly because of its shape and probably just fail no matter how good the finish is?
Is this a common problem? the engines done over 300 but runs well.
Anyone come across this?
I've looked at some second hand ones but they seem in worse condition
intake.jpg

Second hand.

Regards
Mark.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What are my options?
I thought about resurfacing it on glass or at a machine shop, but then it won’t really fit properly because of its shape and probably just fail no matter how good the finish is?
The gaskets have rubber seals around the ports which should stick proud of the gasket slightly and fill any of the pitting, alternatively you could lightly smear some RTV on those rubber seals if you're worried. The fact it wasn't leaking oil into the coolant before is encouraging. IMHO if it were me and I needed the car back on the road relatively soon, I'd remove as of much corrosion as a I could and put it back on, maybe with a slight bit of RTV. I'd think it would last for a fair while (like a year at least) and in the mean time try to find another better one for if it does fail.

You should be able to find another okay one without too much trouble if you want to go down that path (it would probably be cheaper than having it resurfaced), but you'll probably need to go to a U-Pullit or deal with Facebook/Gumtree bogans who are wrecking a car down.

JMann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm Ute 3.8l V6
Thanks R_J_K,
Im goning to clean it up as best I can and put it back with a bit RTV on the collant ports then take my time finding a good one. I don't drive it daily and will be getting some paint done and probably change the motor, well you know..... eventualy, so hopefully that happens before It fails or I find a good one.
Bogans here I come.
Thanks.
Regards Mark.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
When you clean it, and dry it,
"Lightly" run [across the face sideways] a fine twin cut flat bastard file on it,
this will even out the high parts.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi everyone.

Recently I have been working on my Ute. Started with the broken crap in the interior, and finally onto oil leaks. I replaced the rocker cover gaskets, the trany cooler in front of the radiator, was weeping fluid out through the radiator and over the engine, replaced that, the oil sensor etc. Flushed the cooling sytem and replaced the fluid and knock sensors (Clips disintegrated). Then after a while I noticed some oil leaking from the front and rear manifold seals. I knew the manifold gaskets needed replacing so I ordered a full upper set and injector kit and started pulling the top off.
I noticed the manifold bolts were not at the correct torque (loose) and the Loctite felt non-existent. The gaskets and seals was indeed f*@ked and the RTV still held every
thing together nicely.

The heads surface seemed ok (the case was a f*@king mess) and I stated cleaning the carbon and crap from the inlet manifold components.
Now I have the inlet manifold surface clean I find it to be corroded.

View attachment 228451
The Good side. Looks ok not awesome but ok.

View attachment 228452
The bad side.

You can see where the coolant (or lack of it) has been following along the gasket line into the intake port on the left-hand side of the image. Damn. That’s not stain that's light pits of corrosion.
What are my options?
Is this a common problem? the engines done over 300 but runs well.
Anyone come across this?
View attachment 228453
Second hand.

Regards
Mark.

The Bad side will clean up ok.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fairly typical unfortunately when the OEM plastic gasket fails. Clean it up a best you can and use a little silastic when re-fitting.
0-02-07-f9e846bdc6799d9ce842d052d06aa88acb7a726325bd86bb0bc122a78048fa13_161e772d1148863b-jpg.225178

This is the most recent one I did. A little silastic as extra insurance around those coolant ports.

W

Walter vx

The gaskets have rubber seals around the ports which should stick proud of the gasket slightly and fill any of the pitting, alternatively you could lightly smear some RTV on those rubber seals if you're worried. The fact it wasn't leaking oil into the coolant before is encouraging. IMHO if it were me and I needed the car back on the road relatively soon, I'd remove as of much corrosion as a I could and put it back on, maybe with a slight bit of RTV. I'd think it would last for a fair while (like a year at least) and in the mean time try to find another better one for if it does fail.

You should be able to find another okay one without too much trouble if you want to go down that path (it would probably be cheaper than having it resurfaced), but you'll probably need to go to a U-Pullit or deal with Facebook/Gumtree bogans who are wrecking a car down.
Can't go past a mace engineering intake manifold gasget

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did,
As I got quotes from them,
they were twice the price of the supplier/s I purchase from.