Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet manifold... DOH!

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
On the way home from morgan, my car decided to pop a corroded hole through the inlet manifold, spraying coolant everywhere and extending my trip by 5 hours and 40 Litres of water.

Now i need to get a new one.
Anyone had experience changing these.. whats involved? Costs?

Im prepared to do myself if its relatively easy, but what timeframe should i expect from a workshop?

Clunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
its not a bad job to do, just need ya gregorys, a gasket kit(includes some ya may not need eg thermo, elbow, and throtlebody) some gasket glue(refer to your gregorys) and some sand paper.

be specific when ya get ya gaskets, they do vary, last time i did it to a s1 vn there was an extra peice of the gasket hanging out the end of both sides, but it didnt matter.

take your time and follow ya gregorys and youll be safe, but make sure ya block ya ports before ya sand ya manifold and heads smooth(gotta get rid of that old gasket junk and **** buildup to get a good seal), put some gasket glue in the corners in the gaps between the rubber(front and back) and hard(side) gaskets, and take ya time!!

following ya gregorys and having not done it before allow half a day atleast.
the only sticky bit a have ever had is getting the manifold off around the bolt on ya left back that holds on the engine support bracket thingy. might be a good idea to remove it, but you will need a socket thats thin enough to get it off easily if there is one available..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They only sell the VP-R gasket now, it fits on the VN but the edges hang off, that's how it's gota be these days

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
I'm getting it fixed today.
They don't even sell the manifold these days, had to get a second handie.
Replacing it for $540.
Not bad.

Put some Knead-It on there last night to get me into town which seemed to do well.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
ouch dude, thats a lot of money for a intake manifold.

you can pickup second hand ones for like $20, and do it yourself, gaskets are cheap, coolants cheap.

damn, you can pick up a whole motor for less than that.

replacing the manifold is easy, as long as you can read a manual, use a spanner and screwdrivers, etc. and have some co-ordination

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Is this a 6 or an 8?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats a good question actually, as always, we've all assumed v6, but going on other posts of his, its a v6

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
lol, same, both of them(one was 500, one 150)

VNCalais98K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais no more
VN V6 with 100,000km on it.

I figure that the time it would take me to do it would be 6-7 hours, times workshop rates $70 = $420- $490.
Im happy to pay $540 to fix it until i get to the point where i cant afford it, Then i'll bust out the tools.