Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

inlet manifold gasket and other question

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
Hi there, my vs has started to weep a bit of coolant out of the top bolts of the inlet manifold. The leak is very small. I guess the gaskets need changing since its done north of 300,000km. Bit tight on funds at the moment so was wondering if I could let it go for a while and just monitor how much it leaks. Also, would old gaskets be the only reason for this?

My other question relates to the power steering reservoir: as we all know these bastards weep consistently... I have recently changed the reservoir and clamps (the hoses are pretty good) but it is still weeping - albeit at a slower rate. Thus my question is has anyone had any success in stopping 'the weep'? Any ideas (bush-mechanic or otherwise appreciated)..

Thanks.

HSV08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV SENATOR SIGNATURE
Hi there, my vs has started to weep a bit of coolant out of the top bolts of the inlet manifold. The leak is very small. I guess the gaskets need changing since its done north of 300,000km. Bit tight on funds at the moment so was wondering if I could let it go for a while and just monitor how much it leaks. Also, would old gaskets be the only reason for this?

My other question relates to the power steering reservoir: as we all know these bastards weep consistently... I have recently changed the reservoir and clamps (the hoses are pretty good) but it is still weeping - albeit at a slower rate. Thus my question is has anyone had any success in stopping 'the weep'? Any ideas (bush-mechanic or otherwise appreciated)..

Thanks.

Aslong as the coolant isn't mixing with the oil then keep an eye on it. Generally they will mix.. Maybe try running a small amount of sealant around the power steering fitting.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Throw some bars stop leak in the radiator,it may help and it wont hurt....also nip the inlet bolts down a tiny bit
check the direction's on the bottle of the bars as some of them (premix ones ) you will need 2 bottles for a 6 cylinder.....
Check the oil filler cap every morning for white gunk, if you see any stop using the car :)

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thanks for the replies..... been doing a lot of driving the past two days and it has not leaked again thusfar.... there is no oil in the coolant that I can see.... was pure green.... the oil filler cap is clean as a whistle.... guess I will just keep monitoring it... thanks..... one other thing: recently replaced the front struts and top strut bushes etc... but there seems to be a rattle coming from the struts somewhere.... I have had a look and it all seems tight.... notice most over speed humps almost seems to bottom out when going down the hump - got me stumped! springs?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
thanks for the replies..... been doing a lot of driving the past two days and it has not leaked again thusfar.... there is no oil in the coolant that I can see.... was pure green.... the oil filler cap is clean as a whistle.... guess I will just keep monitoring it... thanks..... one other thing: recently replaced the front struts and top strut bushes etc... but there seems to be a rattle coming from the struts somewhere.... I have had a look and it all seems tight.... notice most over speed humps almost seems to bottom out when going down the hump - got me stumped! springs?

Possibly link pins?

You would have had to remove them to do the struts sometimes the bushes or washers aren't put back in the correct sequence which can cause issues (happens all the time)

brenns78

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vs (restore)
thanks guys had gasket replaced - all good.