Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inlet manifold gaskets leaking

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi everyone,

So there seems to be a little bit of a water leak coming from one of the front inlet manifold bolt holes, so looks as though it needs changing.

Ive had a look through the How to on the VR change and also have the Gregory's manual so I shouldnt have any issues with changing the gasket.

Just have a few questions:

- what size are the inlet manifold bolts (3/8")?
- can the inlet and maifold be taken off as one or is it too difficult to get at the inlet manifold bolts with the plenum and throttle body on
- should locktite be used on the inlet manifold bolts?
- does sealant (and what type) need to be applied on the gaskets and end gasket?

Thanks

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
it's all in the gregory's mate, yes sealant in the corners of the front and rear seals, yes locktight, some of the bolts go through into the water jacket so the locktight will help seal it as well.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Do you know what size the bolts are? I really only have metric ones, although Im pretty sure its a imperial size 3/8" bolt or similar.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If you remove the throttle body, there should be no need to remove the plenum, then disconnect all the wires etc, remove bolts it should then lift straight up.
It should say what size bolts they are in the manual. But Yes i knows its imperial size on the VR.
And yes use sealant in the corners of the gaskets, i did not do this on the VR as holden told me its not required, and they never did it from factory anyway as the seals interlock each other, but hey was a few $ tube of sealant for extra peace of mind, mine have not leaked at all after many months.
I just applied sealant to the bolts them selves to help lock them in and also seal around them.
I Used Permatex Silicone Adhesive Sealant from super cheap, its in a black tube, like $10 tops.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Thanks edals I read your HOW-To which helped.
Having a look at the intake manifold, it looks as though I cant really get a socket on the bolts, possibly a spanner, although just want to be able to use a socket so I can torque them up right.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Take it fully apart, replace the pcv, clean the manifold and t/b while you are there.

It's easy. Having the manifold totally out will make cleaning up the surfaces and refitting much easier.

Also a good time to have your injectors cleaned.

Bolts are 3/8.