Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

input shaft cut down?

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
Does anyone know where on the sunshine coast i could get an input shaft from a v6 getrag cut down to suit the 304? and bellhousing to suit would b great too

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Might as well go T56 your already modifying getrag and getting custom adapter plate and mount..... And tail shaft... It'd be almost the same price and you'll never brake it and if u do its cheap to fix, the getrag will break when idling behind the 304...... Unless u talking about the 290 getrag 6 speed but again same sorta custom thing might as well go the trusted 600nm of torque rated T56.....

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
And pretty sure it only has to be shortened 11mm you could do it with a 5" grinder and just re-shamfer the end? Have you checked the size of the required spigot bush? Might be too thin ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And pretty sure it only has to be shortened 11mm you could do it with a 5" grinder and just re-shamfer the end?

Forget precision machining, this sounds legit. There's also a factory 5l Getrag setup in the VS 2 onwards and VT, so don't need a custom adapter plate.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to wait for a wreck or kit to come up.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Forget precision machining, this sounds legit. There's also a factory 5l Getrag setup in the VS 2 onwards and VT, so don't need a custom adapter plate.

It would probably be easier and cheaper to wait for a wreck or kit to come up.

In bush mechanic Haynes manual all good lol, I just don't like the idea of a getrag 260 behind anything more powerful than a Prius....

My last 3 commodores have had them and every single one either broke or developed a problem which requires disection which for the getrag means big bucks and I drive like a grandma taking 1.5-2 seconds to shift always ran good oils etc

If there was a factory option then obviously the length of the input shaft isn't a problem, but I know when I put the T56 on my v6 I had to effectively lengthen the input shaft to work properly so would make sense the input shaft of the getrag would need to be shortened....

Agreed about buying a wreck probs best way to do it if you don't have all the parts already would be reasonably cheap

I don't have it in for the getrag260's its just my opinion.

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
i thought it was bout 35mm, only reason im thinking of going the getrag is cause i have it here, tho its out of a 6, finding a 5l 5spd conversion isnt easy, and i just chucked another t700 in and the f'n 3-4 clutch packs r stuffed, and its my daily so trying find a quick fix with out going back to auto

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I personally think that going auto would be the best move. You don't want the getrag 260 behind anything with a bit of torque.

Just as a side note... IMHO nothing beats the sound of an auto EFI 5.0 with a nice exhaust - and that's why mine's staying auto :D

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
found a 5l 5 spd vs in mackay $1500 going to fly up tonight or in the morning

allan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman 185i
Dont want to annoy anyone but these guys should be able to give u some decent advice depending on what you decide, i am getting my v6 t5 rebuilt for $1500 thats with a mainshaft resleave and new inputshaft. Pretty decent price.

(Sunstate Gearbox & Diff Services) Kunda Park 5 charles court, PH (07) 5476 8911) (Sunshine Coast) ask for simon or tony.