Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Inside alloy rim cleaner

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
surely you could use brake dust remover.

wouldn't acid eat into the clear coat on the face of the rim?

I used to use acid years ago on non-clear coat alloy rims but I'd be scared some would dribble onto the face and mark it????

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Wheel acid will do damage if it's used incorrectly - or on wheels that are not suitable. Factory cleared wheels are fine so, like toey said, make sure they're cleared first. Common sense is needed. However when done right, it is by far and away the most effective and efficient way to clean your wheels. Wheel acid can also be used to clean in and around badges, vents and other intricate areas where grime build up is common. Good way to clean stainless exhaust tips as well. Very handy to have. Definitely need to use caution though.

Anyone know which acid is in the trade stuff?

Depends on the product but usually a blend of phosphoric and hydrofluoric - so safety gear is needed.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
ok thanks tinny, those can be nasty, i was hoping you would say pool acid cos i've got plenty ...

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Thanks for all the suggestions guys and I decided to give the Armour All Wheel Cleaner a go, talk about sweet. Removed literally everything, bad that is. I've never used any of the Armour All proiducts but no I'll have to give them all a go. 2 wheels cleaner 2 to go.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good to hear mate but don't go overboard...... the wheel cleaner is good but a lot of their other stuff is really average

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Wheel acid will do damage if it's used incorrectly - or on wheels that are not suitable. Factory cleared wheels are fine so, like toey said, make sure they're cleared first. Common sense is needed. However when done right, it is by far and away the most effective and efficient way to clean your wheels. Wheel acid can also be used to clean in and around badges, vents and other intricate areas where grime build up is common. Good way to clean stainless exhaust tips as well. Very handy to have. Definitely need to use caution though.

Depends on the product but usually a blend of phosphoric and hydrofluoric - so safety gear is needed.

come on tinny, acid is great for pre spraying the whole car, its awesome on the clay film you get from road works

but yes it needs to be treated with respect and it isnt for everyone.

hydroxylic is also used in milder ones, for memory fi diablo uses it

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Thanks for all the suggestions guys and I decided to give the Armour All Wheel Cleaner a go, talk about sweet. Removed literally everything, bad that is. I've never used any of the Armour All proiducts but no I'll have to give them all a go. 2 wheels cleaner 2 to go.
Its the only good armour all product ive ever used, the rest is very average so I wouldnt waste your money.