Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Easiest way to block the pcv off is pull the spring off the valve throw the valve over ya shoulder put a 10 cent coin in the hole put the spring back in the hole ontop of the coin does the trick just nice. then ya just run the hose to ya can like ya have from the center of the manifold.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I assume you are referring to the later style 3800 V6 engines that have the internal PCV valve under the large nut at the front of the manifold. The earlier V6 engines have a external PCV valve, I've actually left the PCV valve in place inline with the catch can as it was the easiest way to connect the hose into the manifold and run a external breather on the rocker cover (on top of the oil filler cap).

Seems to work well on the Buick engine. I get a little oil in the catch can but not anywhere enough to worry about it.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
I have a stock PCV system, no oil catch can and my Ecotec is pretty heavily modified .. I've never had any issues with the plenum filling up with oil its generally nice and clean, maybe a fraction of dirt but nothing you would really worry about.

When i pulled my manifold off last the whole valley and balance shaft was all shiney.

Do you rekon i should give this catch can thingi a shot ?

Gabster118

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina SII V6 3.8L
I'm considering doing this tomorrow to my VX, Just makin sure, so your saying its better if I thread and put a bolt in the upper PCV hole?
The newer ecotecs have this hole just inside the TB and the air runs down a valley between the plenum and Manifold intake.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Well it's not running any worse :rofl:

But seriously, it's always has a slight miss at idle, never been able to get rid of it totally but it does seem to be gone. I guess it's wait and see over a longer period to see it it comes back.

I'll pull the plenum cover off in a few months and all going well it should still be clean in there :)

Generally speaking the car is running better now that any time since we've owned it.

I've also got a set of 20% underdriven pulleys going on it tomorrow hopefully :D

So hows it going? the PCV mod?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So far so good. I had to empty the catch can the other day as there was a lot of moisture in there but very little oil.

The Clarko's 20% underdriven pulleys have also been fitted :)

I have discovered that I need to do the intake manifold gaskets as it's loosing a little coolant but only when it gets really hot:( Seeing as it now has an 82 degree thermostat and i've altered the tune to bring the thermo fan on about 10 degrees sooner it never gets hot enough now to loose any coolant :p

I've also fitted an MACE 69mm TB and we are in the process of tuning it to suit the mods. By the end of next week it should also have a full VT front brake conversion done with slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads including a full booster & MC upgrade :D

Emptying the catch can is a bit of a pain so i'm looking to fit a drain pipe of some kind with a valve to make it easier.

Cheers

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
Do the alloytec's use these catch cans? If so can anyone word me up on which hoses I would fit to it.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
So far so good. I had to empty the catch can the other day as there was a lot of moisture in there but very little oil.

The Clarko's 20% underdriven pulleys have also been fitted :)

I have discovered that I need to do the intake manifold gaskets as it's loosing a little coolant but only when it gets really hot:( Seeing as it now has an 82 degree thermostat and i've altered the tune to bring the thermo fan on about 10 degrees sooner it never gets hot enough now to loose any coolant :p

I've also fitted an MACE 69mm TB and we are in the process of tuning it to suit the mods. By the end of next week it should also have a full VT front brake conversion done with slotted rotors and QFM HPX pads including a full booster & MC upgrade :D

Emptying the catch can is a bit of a pain so i'm looking to fit a drain pipe of some kind with a valve to make it easier.

Cheers

Thanks dude, I Might just do the mod now its proven :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I did see something the other day about someone mentioning lots of oil in the TB of an SIDI 3.6 engine so fitting a catch can would probably be beneficial.

Unfortunately i'm not familiar enough with the alloytec/SIDI engines to let you know which hoses to plumb into.

Cheers

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
I did see something the other day about someone mentioning lots of oil in the TB of an SIDI 3.6 engine so fitting a catch can would probably be beneficial.

Unfortunately i'm not familiar enough with the alloytec/SIDI engines to let you know which hoses to plumb into.

Cheers

Thanks for the info mate. I've noticed a bit of oil around the TB when I installed my mace insulators so I thought it might be worth it just to keep it clean. Any particular brand better than the other or is a catch can a catch can?

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk