Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Install Catch Can on Ecotec without blocking PCV.

Timmay33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
This is my first "How to" so be kind.
This is on a VX Ecotec. I assume it will be near 100% the same for VS, VT and VY.
Click the images for larger versions!

The nice engineers at Holden decided to put the PCV and runner for it in the manifold/plenum on the Ecotec. So to install a catch can conventionally on this motor you need to either modify your manifold/plenum, or run a catch can on the breather side and block off the PCV as immortality did.

I was deciding on some mods for my car and decided to get the Intake Insulator from Mace Engineering. I went for the 25mm one as this was thick enough for how I wanted to install my catch can.

What you need.

25mm Intake Insulator from Mace Engineering.
14mm Grub Screw for the PCV hole in the insulator.
Tap for your Grub Screw thread.
2x Hose tails. I bought Tails for 3/8 hose with a 1/8 BSP Thread
Drill and Tap for 1/8 BSP.
Catch Can
4m of 3/8 Low Pressure Fuel Hose.
Gasket Goo, such as that which you get with your Insulator. Or Loctite if you wish.

Now you might find other hose tails. I just bought them because they were available at the time at my local industrial supplies. I was unable to get tails that matched the taps my old man has so had to buy the tap aswell. This makes its somewhat costly as a tap is around the $20. You might find other tails that work with your taps.

First, grab the tap for your grub screw and tap out the hole in the insulator for the PCV. The hole is the one farthest one from the intake runner holes. Make sure your tap is true (straight with the hole). Once done put your grub screw in.

You will also have to cut down the grub screw if it is too long. You need it to sit between the two holes you will drill for your two tails. Once done, put some gasket goo or loctite on the thread to seal the screw.

Ignore the two tails. I did not think to take a photo with only the grub screw in.

Next. Drill out and tap 2 holes for your hose tails. The holes should be on the front motor side of the PCV hole. If in doubt check the pic of it installed on the engine. You might want to put yours on more of an angle, either horizontaly or vertically as mine are too close and its very difficult to get the hoses on and off. You can see my holes are slightly offset, but not enough as i found out.

Install your two tails with goo or loctite on the threads and you should be left with this. As you can see the gases from the PCV will travel in through the bottom, forced out the first tail due to the grub screw blocking the hole, to the catch can and then back in the top tail and into the plenum.

Install your Insulator on the car as per the instructions from Mace. While you have the plenum off, give it a clean out as well using lordmuzs' guide. One of the reasons for a catch can is to keep the plenum clean. As you can see the position of the tails is really the only place you can put them for easy access because of the fuel rail.

Install your catch can where you like. I didnt like anywhere in the bay itself so I decided to run mine to in behind the horn underneath the drives side headlight. This will help keep it cool and help condense the oil out. With the front bumper on it is still easily accessible. I have the standard VX SS kit I believe. When running your pipes for the catch can, ensure that there is no place for the oil to collect in the lines. The run from the PCV to the can should be all downhill.

And done!
Start your engine to check for any leaks. Check the oil level in the can regularly.

Happy driving!

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Be interesting to see how this goes. To see if it actually works too.
Nice write up though mate.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
surely you could just block the pcv up and then run a single line to the catch can and then a single line to the throttle body?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
surely you could just block the pcv up and then run a single line to the catch can and then a single line to the throttle body?

Thats what I did on my 304 except I ran it off the PCV. Very good how to though. Well done.

P1010053.jpg