Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Install vx diff center

jordazbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hi guys just making sure I'm do the diff center right . In the end I had to put it back together because I did not have a ellenkey to fit the drive shifts to get the axels out..

But am I doing it right it's a vx 2001 model IRS

Took all the bolts out .
Dropped the diff alittle .
Drained oil.
Opened the case .

Now do I need to start undoing the ellenkey bolts ... Then the axels should come out then yeah ? If not please help :)

BlownVXLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais S2 5.7 V8 LS1 Auto
Hi mate, am currently in your situation. Not sure how to pull out the axles. Would appreciate the advise on how to remove the diff centre on 01 VX with an open IRS Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Before you try and remove the diff you need to remove the axles. Easiest way to do that is have someone jump on the brakes to stop the axles from turning and then use and alley key and pipe extension to undo a couple of bolts than release the brakes, rotate a bit and remove the rest etc.

Once the diff is out of the car you can remove the axles, the best way is to use a puller/slide hammer to get em out, if you don't have access to one of those than 2 bars, one on each side, levering from opposite sides as you want the stub shaft to come out straight. Slide hammer is definitely best.

Once the stub shafts are out of the diff you can undo the diff centre carrier bearing hubs, easiest way is a use a bar about 300-400mm long, drill and tap 2 holes spaced to suit the slots in the bearing hub so one bolt is on each side and use it like a spanner.