Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installation of double din headunit into VY. Advice??

mamejay

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Long time reader of the forums.
I have just upgraded my VS to a VY Acclaim.
I have just purchased an all in one double din headunit with DVD, Digital TV GPS etc.
I have purchased a fascia to fit my commodore.
The new head unit uses a standard ISO connector.
The new unit has steering wheel controls option VIA 2 wires.
From what i can find on the net the original head unit has a standard ISO connector also but there is another connector above that. See the picture attached.
cd_5.jpg

Does anyone have the actual pinouts of all the connectors in the ISO and the additional connector?
Also where have some of you mounted your GPS and TV receivers and what do you find is the best path to trace the receiver wires back to the head unit?
Last thing for the steering wheel controls. Which pins are related to that in the connectors?
Any advice or a link to some good guide would be awesome.
Thanks everyone!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if u still got ur original head unit the wiring pin outs r written on the unit. makes things 10 times easier :)

mamejay

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your comments!! The unit already came with a ISO connector so it basically just worked. Just needed to attach the illumination wire to the head unit ISO connector and I was all set. Got it all working perfectly except for the steering wheel controls.
On the new head unit it has two wires coming out the back of it labeled steering1 and steering2.
In the setup of the head unit you can hold a steering wheel control button then set the corresponding button on the head unit.
I cannot get it to register any button presses. I tried connecting each on to Steering REM and REM GND connectors but did not get anything. This is a standard Chinese head unit that you can get from eBay nowadays.
Has anyone had any luck with a head unit like this before and the steering wheel controls?

mamejay

Reaction score
Would I need to just connect ground to REM GROUND and only connect one of the steering wheel cables from the HU to the STEERING REM?
I have seen others who have gotten this to work but they have not elaborated on what they did.