Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installed Extractors now popping on acceleration....

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not sure mate but probably, it’s not the coils but the leads on the end that go on to the coil that are easy damaged when removing

jmillf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8 V6
Anyone seen this clip, pretty interesting!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just use multimeter on ohms at each end of lead just wriggle it around and pull it tight and u will pick up and failed leads quickly

jmillf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8 V6
Righto, checked torque of all header bolts. All good 25 Nm.

Took off all leads and inspected. There was some what looks to be plastic debris in the coil side plug. Had to fish out with tweezers see photo.

Interesting when putting the leads back on; on two of the leads at the spark plug didn’t make the distinct click which the others did. I did feel around the hole and feels like the header flange is very close to the spark plug hole. Maybe the metal heat shield of the coil is hitting the flange stopping thread from engaging all the way onto the spark plug. Took it for a drive still some popping on hard acceleration and does feel bit sluggish. Idle is still ok though.

Might get one of those Kincrome OBD11 scanners to see if it’s thrown any codes. Anyone have experience with these worthwhile?

See if I can get a multimeter from work tomorrow and check.

Cheers guys. Keep the suggestions coming. Appreciate it!

Attachments

• 201C6036-C672-455B-B0F6-CDFA0B93893B.jpeg
    201C6036-C672-455B-B0F6-CDFA0B93893B.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 7A8806D1-682F-4EAF-9A55-F093A05C8B96.jpeg
    7A8806D1-682F-4EAF-9A55-F093A05C8B96.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 132

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If I were you mate I’d just go buy a new set of leads and be done with that way you know they are good for another 100k kms

jmillf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8 V6
If I were you mate I’d just go buy a new set of leads and be done with that way you know they are good for another 100k kms

Good call mate. Will do. Also might try using high temp lead protectors as opposed to the steel heat shield. The protectors look to be a smaller diameter than the heat shield. Hopefully get a better clamp on to the spark plug on the two suspect leads.

Ill keep everyone updated.

Cheers

jmillf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8 V6
Ok update, took the heat shields off the two suspect plugs and 'clicked' them back in position and went for a drive. No hesitation, no spluttering or popping when under full acceleration or low revs in high gear which Is great. Might of found our culprit. It's interesting to see score/damage mark said on the metal shields where it looks like It was binding on the header flange. Good result. Still feels somewhat sluggish though (maybe it's the big pipe). Took Dad for a drive and he doesn't seem to think so......

Anyway going to get some high temp lead protects and use them instead of the metal shields.

Thanks for the suggestions. Next up OTR and MAFless tune

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Once you get your otr and tune it will make a big difference in power and torque mate it frees them up nicely

jmillf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim 3.8 V6
Once you get your otr and tune it will make a big difference in power and torque mate it frees them up nicely
Looking forward to it! Anyone have experience with LSX Garage in Hallam Victoria?