Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installed subby, now battery is dying??

DanVYCOMMY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim
Hi all, new to the forums (be nice) but a long time commy lover. I've been surfing JustCommodores for months now but never needed to make a post. Well the time has come.
I recently installed a new head, subby, and amp in my otherwise-stock-standard VY acclaim. It was first on my list of upgrades.
I had a mate help me install it as i had never done it before. Of course we tried it out with the car off, drained the battery, i charged it and drove on my merry way, no worries.
The next morning it was flat. I was late for work as its my only ride :(
I've checked the terminals, made sure lights were off, standard ****, charged it up that day, it started no worries, drove it around all day (plenty of time for the alternator to charge) and i didnt even pump the subby because i thought thats what may be causing it. Next morning, dead as a tack, not even enough to send up my aerial.
Not cool man.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, next move is to send it to auto-elec but ive got a 3 month old and the VY is my only car...

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Make sure the amp is turned off when the car is off.
It's rare, But i have seen the main + wire that connect's to the (+) input of the amp has sort of bridged across to the remote input causing the amp to stay on.

How old is the battrey?
Being that it's winter, It has probably just died.
And becuase you ran it flat, That probably took the remaning life out of it.

Battrey's always die in winter.
And you're in victoria too, Even colder!

Most battrey places can do a free battrey check for you.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, I'd do as vx_commodore said... Check the amp is turning off when the head unit & car are off.

Then visit an auto elec who can usually do a battery & alternator check in about 5 minutes.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
+1 one on checking the amp is turning off.

That sounds like the most likely cause, amp is not turning off.

With aftermarket headunits, they usually have a remote wire so when the headunit is off the amp will be off.

The other think it could be is that the headunit is wired into constant so IT is never turning off and in turn not turning off the amp.

Good luck.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Other thing to check is ensure u have connected the positive and ignition wires correctly. This will cause the head unit to stay on and also keep the amp turned on via the remote wire.

Symptom is u will lose all set options and radio stations.