Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Head Unit

Executive 1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I go for my P's in a few weeks and recently have just bought a Commodore 1993 Executive.

My problem is that the original Head Unit doesn't work anymore. So my sister gave me her old Head Unit and when I went to install it, I found that my Wiring Harness was too small to plug into the port.

Here's an idea of my wiring harness:

AP1782H : Holden Commodore / Toyota Lexcen VN-VP Wiring Harness 1988 - 93 :: Harnesses

I have a couple of questions as a result:

1. Is there anyway I can use my sister's Head Unit in my car by changing the Harness or would it be easier to just buy a new Head Unit?

2. If I buy a new Head Unit, how will I know my Wiring Harness will be compatible with it?

I'm only new to the car world and still trying to get my head around it, full answers I would really appreciate but helpful comments would also be good.

Thanks guys.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Hey guys, new to the forum here.

I go for my P's in a few weeks and recently have just bought a Commodore 1993 Executive.

My problem is that the original Head Unit doesn't work anymore. So my sister gave me her old Head Unit and when I went to install it, I found that my Wiring Harness was too small to plug into the port.

Here's an idea of my wiring harness:

AP1782H : Holden Commodore / Toyota Lexcen VN-VP Wiring Harness 1988 - 93 :: Harnesses

I have a couple of questions as a result:

1. Is there anyway I can use my sister's Head Unit in my car by changing the Harness or would it be easier to just buy a new Head Unit?

2. If I buy a new Head Unit, how will I know my Wiring Harness will be compatible with it?

I'm only new to the car world and still trying to get my head around it, full answers I would really appreciate but helpful comments would also be good.

Thanks guys.

Well firstly what brand of headunit is it?

1, Yes , go down to autobarn and get a new harness they should have plentey of (brand) to commodore
then its just a matter of wiring it up

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
There seems to be a trend these day's with buying and using wiring harness adapter. Firstly you dont need them, and secondly, if your not sure on what your doing, you'll still get stuck,you'll find a lot adapters will have the Accsesories, and constant power supply around the wrong way, plus others- like power antenna wire... Just follow the VN-VP stereo wiring diagram sticky, in the car audio section. You will seriously have your head unit in and working before the store even figures out which harness you need from their catalouge../:thumbsup:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Unfortunately no matter what brand head unit you buy, the standard plug in your commodore wont be able to be plugged into the head-unit. You have two choices:

1. You buy a harness adaptor, which basically changes your stock stereo wiring plug into an aftermarket (for example Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Kenwood) plug. This means you can plug one end of the harness adpator into the stock plug and then plug the other into your aftermarket head unit. But as commodorevp has said above usually the harness adaptors arent 100% correct in matching up which wire does what, so you'll have to swap a wire or two around in the harness adaptor.

2. Follow the head unit installation guide at the top of the car audio section.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
if you know how to use a multimeter and solder, and have wiring diagrams, do it yourself.
If you're missing those skills, go for the harness.
I understand some people wont touch wiring and electrical things, just as i wont touch anything mechanical.

Executive 1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
Executive
Thanks guys. But I think my best bet is to go to Autobarn.