Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a new HU in a VY-VZ - How I did it.

ttt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive
Hi All,

I've just installed a new Head Unit and Splits into my VY II Exec.
I could never find any info or pics in regards to this, so I am hoping this thread can be of some help to other VY/VZ owners, who are wanting to upgrade the stock HU.

The gear that I purchased is
Pioneer Head Unit - DEH-P7750MP
Pioneer 6' Splits - TS-C1625 (didn't need anything better than this for now)
VY-VZ Facia kit (to maintain curves in dash where the stock HU sits)

Myself and some mates attempted to install the headunit ourselves, but got stuck before we even got the dash apart, so thought it best a professional install it!

I took the car to a mate of a mate who runs a car installation business, and he did the whole lot in about 90 minutes.

• First thing was to remove the stock headunit, which can be done by putting 2 correctly chizzled pieces of wire (coathanger is good) into the 4 release holes. The end needs to be small but round with a groove in order for the deck clips to release.

• The passenger side panel of the console was then removed and the wiring was removed and reworked (stock setup has a plastic board behind the deck with the wiring fixed, for easy plug and play installation of any stock VY (Blaupunkt) deck.

• The door panels were pulled apart and the woofers were installed in place of the existing 6' woofers. We then unclipped a part of the upper dash (where the windscreen meets the de-mist airvents) and removed the stock tweeters and replaced with the new ones.

• The headunit was then positioned and secured into the facia kit and it was installed and tweaked.

All in all, the installation was fairly painless, but the facia kit did refuse to go in, but our persistence paid off (i'm told it usually is painless).

I have attached a photo of the console. You will see there is a gap where the new facia doesn't connect exactly with the rest of the dash. Next chance I get i'll pull it out and try to align it better.

Cheers

Attachments

• vy-hu.JPG
    vy-hu.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 4,112

ttt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Executive
Cheers.

They are better than the stock ones, but I really need to add some 6x9's or a SUB to compliment them with decent bass.

As far as a tweeter goes, they sound good to me.

V

VY02S

hey mate... nice work with the new deck installation... was wonderin where ya got the facia form and how much it costs?? may sound stupid, but im new to this so go easy on me... lol.

cheers
adam

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Holden sell a blank plastic panel to go where the factory HU fits (apparently military cars don't have stereos) - bought one yesterday for $24, gonna cut a hole in it to house my JVC single DIN HU. Prefer this idea to the pocket thing, looks flush with the rest of the dash and half the price!

The only trouble I'm having is finding the paint code for the "Dark Tempest" console paint colour - Holden don't have a code for it (come off it, it's only used on EVERY exec, acclaim, s/sv6 vy/vz commodore). Does anyone have this paint code or have gone to the trouble of getting some paint matched up for it?

OR... I'm open for suggestions as to an alternate colour to spray the panel - perhaps gloss black? Thought about silver but I think it'll be too bright over too large an area.

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Scratch that idea - I forgot to mention I'm utterly useless with power tools like jigsaws, so that poor plastic panel is now in the bin in pieces cause I slipped. That'll teach me to try and tidy up one of the edges - I'd even had the panel in the car ready to go! Grrrrrr!!

I think I'll just buy the Aerpro one and paint that up instead. Less for me to stuff up.

Davo The not-so-Great handyman.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
New head Unit

I am getting a new head unit (pioneer deh-p9650mp) installed in my car (VZ sv6) next week. I just realised my sv6 has 6 speakers... i guess this means i'll have to cancel two speakers out for now. Can anyone that has had an aftermarket headunit installed give me their thoughts on this?

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
Yay it's finished

Picked up the Aerpro facia this morning. 2 seconds to fit in car. And here's the result :D

Attachments

• JVC head unit after facia install - 260106.jpg
    JVC head unit after facia install - 260106.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 7,585

DavoTheGreat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series ClubSport
6 speakers?

jaisvz said:
I am getting a new head unit (pioneer deh-p9650mp) installed in my car (VZ sv6) next week. I just realised my sv6 has 6 speakers... i guess this means i'll have to cancel two speakers out for now. Can anyone that has had an aftermarket headunit installed give me their thoughts on this?

Are you referring to the dash splits as the 5th and 6th speakers? If so, these run from the front door speakers so only one set of wires to go the head unit for the front plus the rear doors for the back... ie 4 speaker channels.