Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a new HU in a VY-VZ - How I did it.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
:p

Ahhh, i see now! For some reason i thought there was some 6x9's on the parcel tray! I had a look underneath from inside the boot and just found press outs in the steel of the parcel tray obviously for 6x9's. Has anyone put 6x9's in the parcel tray yet? If so, was it easy and what tips do you have? I just ordered some of those yellow REV series Pioneer 6x9's and an amp to compliment them nicely. Head unit is going in tomorrow, then ill work on the wiring ect. for the new rear speakers. I guess ill need to replace the front and rear door speakers... any suggestions from the Pioneer range? I'm thinking splits in the front doors as they already have some there and maybe some 6inch 3 ways in the rear doors.
Throw some thoughts at me guys, would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
deh-9650mp

Just thought id post a pic of my head unit install.
Not the best quality pic because i took it on my phone, but you get the drift.

S

storm89

yer im usin the same fascia, cept i put a dvd player in with a fold out 7"... works great except the air con controls get in the way if u angle it too much

Westie2148

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ One Tonner Cross6
Do the steering wheel controls still work with the new head units?

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Steering controls

No, they are disfunctional. But apparently you can buy a device for JVC and Pioneer units that joins onto the steering controls wire loom and converts the button presses into IR remote commands and them transmits them via an IR LED that i think is usually mounted out of sight in your over head light fixture.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
System

Might be a little off topic, but just wanted to show what i've done in my vz.

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
There is no point having 3 sets of speakers, its just a waste of money and will make it sound worse. 6x9's are used to get a bit of "bass" when subs aren't used. You don't need them since you're getting subs.

So if you haven't bought them yet, don't bother!

Oh, and you have the wrong model number over the speaker amp... You'd be better off getting the GM-6200F to run the to run the splits and rear door speakers. If you don't believe me, go on Car Audio Australia forums and ask for opinions on what you've chosen :)

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
Thanks for your opinion. This is my first install, so it probably isn't the greatest. But i sure have learned a lot from it already!

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
Has anyone tried to install 2 single Din head units / dvd players, etc. I am attempting to put a motorised lcd screen in as well a my head unit. I need aquire a double single din fascia plate. anyone seen one, any help :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: