Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a new Pioneer head unit, which harness to use?

MegaMan_2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
Hi all,

I have a pioneer head unit which has this connector on the end of the loom.

29ehy51.jpg

I'd prefer to not have to cut this off if I dont have to, which aerpro harness/s will I need?

Can I use the one that came with my head unit, OR should I get the replacement Aerpro APP8PIO for pioneer?

Just interested in what others have used?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey mate, If it was me I'd just be using the wiring harness that's obviously connected the your head unit, and then connecting the wires directly to your car's exisiting harness. Majority of wiring harness adapters normally have a wire or two back to front or in the wrong place anyway, and just make it harder to re-install the new head unit due to the amount of extra wiring you've just attatched.(keep in mind connecting RCA"S , IPODS, ect also..) There's a thread posted in here (car audio section) up the top somewhere, about head unit wiring guide..It's dead easy to understand and follow, and even if your a complete dummy, you'd still have your stereo in and pumping before you even got to the shop to buy the harness adapter:thumbsup:

Last edited:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
If you dont want to follow the above suggestion......

That plug you have pictured is an "ISO" plug, so assuming the other end of that wiring goes to the head-units' plug you'll be needing the APP8PIO harness (ISO to VX commodore harness), as youve stated in your post.

But like the above post, more than likely the power antenna wire or the acc/constant power wires will be wrong, so be prepared to swap them or make changes to the harness.

MegaMan_2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
I've just bought the VX adaptor, and I'll wire it to the pioneer one.
Only thing the VX adaptor doesnt have an illumination wire, do I just hook this to the Accessories wire?

Thanks

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Dont worry too much about the illumination wire, it just dims the display when you turn the lights on. Most of the time i dont connect it when doing installs ;)

If you hook it to the accessories wire you'll be dimming the display all the time.

MegaMan_2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
Sweet no problems then!

Thanks for the help!