Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a Reversing Camera Kit

KettsComms

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan , VS Aussie V8 Ute
Hi Team,

I am about to start installing a "wired" type Reversing Camera kit (including a clip on-to-mirror display) to my recently acquired 2010 VE SSV. I am wondering if any members have already gained some clues on such a project. In particular, I am thinking that running the cable from the rear view mirror to the back of the car, maybe best done through the centre of the head-lining? How easy is it to get access by (perhaps) removing the front and rear interior reading lamp assemblies, and poking the cable through?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. As would any general experience-based suggestions relating to such an installation.
Thank you, in anticipation,
Kett

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I threaded the cable through the gap above the headlining using the plastic strip used in yellow tongue floorboarding. It's a great tool used by soarkies to thread wiring through enclosed wall cavities and ceilings.

You need to gain access to front and rear window trims (above each window inside. This could be awkward in a sedan. I did it in a hatchback) . The yellow tounge is passed through until it reaches the opposite end of the roof. The wiring is taped to the end of the strip and then the strip is pulled right through, pulling the cable with it.

KettsComms

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sedan , VS Aussie V8 Ute
Hi All,
Thanks to those who have commented about my request for clues regarding installing a Reversing Camera Kit. Here I am giving a "hands-on" update from my own experience having just about completed the install. Actually, all I have left to do is terminate the wiring looms to power, reverse lamps, etc. That bit will be a "breeze!" It was the running of the cabling which was concerning me. That has now been completed.
As my Kit includes a Rear Vision Mirror Display, my main concern was getting the wiring loom (neatly) to the mirror. I quickly decided the best approach would be running the cabling through the roof cavity. I removed the rear Interior Lamp unit with ease, and found plenty of "cavity" to run the cable. I then pulled down the rear window Brake Light, providing plenty of room to pull wires from the rear of the roof toward the front. Unfortunately I was unable to remove the Front Reading Light unit , but by removing the driver side Sun Visor Inner Support (you could just as easily worked from the passenger side) I could ease the Head Lining down far enough to draw the cable all the way to the front windscreen, just above the Rear View mirror.
The next "challenge" was getting a "draw wire" from the top (I used Driver Side) rear windscreen
down into the Boot. By carefully just easing the trim between the head lining and top of the back of the Back Seat away slightly, I could slide a "stiffish" draw wire directly down into the boot, having first removed the Right Side Boot Lining to gain access from within the boot. Then was able to "draw" the appropriate wiring into the boot - heading for the driver side reverse lamp, and the existing cable path to the Boot Lid.
The remainder of the job including mounting the Camera just above the Number Plate, connecting the wiring looms, and connecting to the Reverse Light (which I will use to power both the Camera and the Mirror Monitor) should all be very straight-forward. . . . . . . If I DO discover other "challenges" , I will let you know.
Cheers, Kett.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Thanks for taking the time to post,Info. will come in handy down the track