Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing a sunroof

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
hey all,
I got given a sunroof from my old man and ive been trying 2 find out if u can install them urself. Like im not cutting any of the roof supports. I have a feeling that most of u r gonna say get a pro 2 install it but i cant afford it (yet) and if u can install it ur self i will just get my old man 2 do it. :thumbsup:

So Im really asking is it legal 2 cut the roof urself 2 put a sunroof in.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
perfectly legal, there not hard to install, we do them at work, its just the big fear of cutting a hole in your roof, cause if you stuff up its not an easy fix,

the sun roof should come with a template, use that and measure it over and over agian until you get bored with measuring the same thing, the measure again, then cut once,

and use non acidic silicone when installin so it does not rust

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Personally i wouldnt do that myself, because if you stuff up it cause make the car a write off lol.
Like that dude... lol whats his name... he has red hair.... has a VN, hozy knows??? Where are you hozy!!
Anyway i payed $1100 for mine supplied and fitted, never had a drama

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Personally i wouldnt do that myself, because if you stuff up it cause make the car a write off lol.
Like that dude... lol whats his name... he has red hair.... has a VN, hozy knows??? Where are you hozy!!
Anyway i payed $1100 for mine supplied and fitted, never had a drama

hahahahaha Chris! SmokeyDJ rofl rofl rofl rofl hahahaahahahahahahahaha red hair lol

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
perfectly legal, there not hard to install, we do them at work, its just the big fear of cutting a hole in your roof, cause if you stuff up its not an easy fix,

the sun roof should come with a template, use that and measure it over and over agian until you get bored with measuring the same thing, the measure again, then cut once,

and use non acidic silicone when installin so it does not rust

The OP is from SA, where it is in fact ILLEGAL to install a sunroof yourself unless they are installed by an approved installer or it is engineered.

Transport SA mailed me the following:
"Sunroofs
The roof of a motor vehicle contributes to its overall strength and the removal of a section of the roof to install a sunroof may affect the structural strength of a motor vehicle.
Consequently, passenger cars and derivatives manufactured on or after 1st January 1969 will only be acceptable to Transport SA if an engineering report prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer is supplied. The report must demonstrate that the modified vehicle continues to comply with all applicable ADRs, and that the vehicle meets with Transport SA Torsional Rigidity and Beaming Stiffness Test Procedures as outlined in Engineering Instruction Number 8. In the case of passenger cars and derivatives manufactured prior to 1st January 1969 no approval or inspection of the modified vehicle is required, however, it is recommended that the services of a Chartered Professional Engineer are engaged to ensure that the integrity of the vehicle has not been compromised."

They said that there are certain approved installers though, where no engineering report is required (pretty much any professional sunroof installer).

Makes alot of sense to me, there are alot of hacks out there that shouldn't be cutting into their own car. Plus, you can't cut a hole in your parcel shelf or any other structural part of the body... So why would you legally be able to cut a great big hole in your roof on your own?

Last edited:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
hahahahaha Chris! SmokeyDJ rofl rofl rofl rofl hahahaahahahahahahahaha red hair lol

:rofl: :rofl: Is that the bloke who ended up having shovel pole's propping up his roof from the inside?!?! :rofl:

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
:rofl: There is a prime example of why you are better off saving that little extra dude. It's not worth stuffing your pride and joy up over something so small. Plus if you spend $1100 and got what Geoff got, you will be very happy, it's a mint sunroof......

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
thanx all 4 the info and if i did have $1100 i wouldnt get a new sunroof i would save more and get my vx calis but i dont. Plus would u thro away a freebee. I think i might try and find som1 here in victor that is quallified 2 install it. Its only in a vp so im not gonna bother buyin a new sunroof. :thumbsup: