Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing a sunroof

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
The OP is from SA, where it is in fact ILLEGAL to install a sunroof yourself unless they are installed by an approved installer or it is engineered.

Transport SA mailed me the following:
"Sunroofs
The roof of a motor vehicle contributes to its overall strength and the removal of a section of the roof to install a sunroof may affect the structural strength of a motor vehicle.
Consequently, passenger cars and derivatives manufactured on or after 1st January 1969 will only be acceptable to Transport SA if an engineering report prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer is supplied. The report must demonstrate that the modified vehicle continues to comply with all applicable ADRs, and that the vehicle meets with Transport SA Torsional Rigidity and Beaming Stiffness Test Procedures as outlined in Engineering Instruction Number 8. In the case of passenger cars and derivatives manufactured prior to 1st January 1969 no approval or inspection of the modified vehicle is required, however, it is recommended that the services of a Chartered Professional Engineer are engaged to ensure that the integrity of the vehicle has not been compromised."

They said that there are certain approved installers though, where no engineering report is required (pretty much any professional sunroof installer).

Makes alot of sense to me, there are alot of hacks out there that shouldn't be cutting into their own car. Plus, you can't cut a hole in your parcel shelf or any other structural part of the body... So why would you legally be able to cut a great big hole in your roof on your own?

well im in nsw and fit them to government car/vans and trucks, and i have no qualification been a sunroof fitter, but have done hundreds of them, no one has ever complained

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
well im in nsw and fit them to government car/vans and trucks, and i have now qualification been a sunroof fitter, but have done hundreds of them, no one has ever complained

As I said, the OP is from SA mate, so if you don't know the relevant guidelines here then perhaps its best not to tell somebody that yeah sure its legal go and cut a big hole in your roof. Its not something thats easy to un-do. That sort of advice is perhaps best given when you actually know the relevant law.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
As I said, the OP is from SA mate, so if you don't know the relevant guidelines here then perhaps its best not to tell somebody that yeah sure its legal go and cut a big hole in your roof. Its not something thats easy to un-do. That sort of advice is perhaps best given when you actually know the relevant law.

yes maybe i should of checked what state he was in, but then again its not my fault SA is the most boring and restrictive state in australia

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Just save money dude. Everyone has to do it in order to buy things for their car.

Logz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.7
Personally i wouldnt do that myself, because if you stuff up it cause make the car a write off lol.
Like that dude... lol whats his name... he has red hair.... has a VN, hozy knows??? Where are you hozy!!
Anyway i payed $1100 for mine supplied and fitted, never had a drama

Who does it for $1100 in sa looking to get one in my vt cheers