Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing a tacho in a VP that doesnt have one

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
Hey.. i was wondering if any one could help me out.. i have a vp executive series II manual and it doesnt have a tacho..
I have read thru other threads for installing tacho's and most people said you can use the brown signal wire found attached to a loom in the front engine bay on the passenger side running past the strut... but for sum reason it didnt work.. i was then led to believe there is another wire possible brown/red which i havent tested yet as it is harder to look for and possibly harder to access...
So then i thought perhaps i could get a new cluster with a tacho.. BUT does anyone know if a newer say VS VR or calais VP cluster with tacho will plug straight in??? Should i get a new cluster or can sumone help me out with my wire problem... keep in mind i want to INSTALL a tacho not just test my engine!!
any help at all would be much apreciated... sorry about the long intro but i thought id get it all out there... :D

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
the vn vp level 2 cluster will be a straight swap thats the normal cluster with the tacho.

the level 3 with lcd displays wont work

the vr /vs clusters wont work - different pinouts on the back

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
He's asking about hooking up a monster tacho, not factory ones!

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
So then i thought perhaps i could get a new cluster with a tacho.. BUT does anyone know if a newer say VS VR or calais VP cluster with tacho will plug straight in??? Should i get a new cluster or can sumone help me out with my wire problem... keep in mind i want to INSTALL a tacho not just test my engine!!
any help at all would be much apreciated... sorry about the long intro but i thought id get it all out there... :D

and the bit at the end regarding clusters

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
oh my bad, didn't read that far haha

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Yeah L2 cluster with the 1/4 circle looking tacho on the left and the fuel and temps above each other on the right for a VN/P will fit straight in and work. The L3 with the Lcd's at the bottom will not work, you need wiring mods for that.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah L2 cluster with the 1/4 circle looking tacho on the left and the fuel and temps above each other on the right for a VN/P will fit straight in and work. The L3 with the Lcd's at the bottom will not work, you need wiring mods for that.

All the gauges themselves will work, only the trips wont without the wiring mods!

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
when i put the vn level 2 dash in my vp i had to swap the plastic circuit board off the back and the engine light strips with the symbols on as the wrong lights lit up for things but its easy to swap over need to make a few holes for the guage wires but easy enough.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Hey JacobD_10,
I have done what you are asking about a year ago. I have a 91 VP executive. I used to have a dash without the tacho. The trick is to make sure you are getting a VP dash with a tacho. A lot of people don't know how to tell the difference and either advertise them as VN-VS compatible, but they are not.

However, after some attempts I finally figured out the easiest way to tell. I have attached a pic for you, I couldn't find a pic of the VP dash, but have explained it in the pic. If you get a VP dash with tacho, it will slide straight into your car and work without changing any wiring, that's what happened with mine.

Cheers
Pete

Attachments

• VNPRS Dash.jpg
    VNPRS Dash.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4,236

JacobD_10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec. SII Manual
wow thanks heaps for all your help..
but before i go and find a vp l2 cluster, do any of you guys know how to hook up my standalone tacho (as i already have one) ,
i was toying with using a pin and poking it through the wires coming out of my elctronic fuel module to test them (The tacho signal wire is what im looking for.(brown/red i think)) ...

ohh and btw are there any clusters that will work that may also have oil pressure
^^ yes i know i am asking too much and i asume not.. im good with electronics so as long as i dont have to rewire ribbon cable it'll be sweet..
thnx again