Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing a vs/r wiper switch into a vn/p

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My regular drive is a vr and the wiper controls are easy to use and my other car a vp were so difficult to use especially the single wipe part and how you had to take your hand off the wheel to use and they fly apart sometimes it so I installed a vr/s switch on my vp.The switch slides straight in the column you just have to cut a hole in the shroud.I got a vp intermittent wiper circuitboard that sits on top of the main board on the lefthand binnacle switch that is on any vp and modified it and mounted it remotely in a litle jiffy box .Here's the circuit....

Attachments

• wiper mod.jpg
    wiper mod.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,033
  • wiper box.jpg
    wiper box.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3,516

mrc25381

MRC
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Series II V6
Wow, that's pretty clever man, I'd love to see pics of the finished product..

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Just looks like any VR or Vs with one on the lefthand side
Thanks for the compliment by the way.

Last edited:

holdenrules

Reaction score
Hey markovr,

Does your VP intermittent circuit board have fixed or variable intermittent? Does your new installed control have the little wheel for the variable delay?

I'm trying to change the fixed intermittent in my VP Berlina to variable. Used to have a variable dial in my VH SL/X, don't understand why a later model doesn't have it? :ranting:

I've got a 2H switch cluster from a Calais, which has the slider behind the buttons, but the connectors are very different as my VP does not have a BCM.

Any suggestions how I could get this happening and keep it stock VP (without installing the wiper stalk!) :)

Thanks heaps for you help.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I havent experimented with it and I just left it with what it was set at . No doubt you could experiment with variable resistor in the place of the fixed one in the right position to change its timing .
Might have a go with a spare one circuit board I have when I get some spare time.
As you said the top of the range Calais has a slider control to change the wipe delay timing but has to use a high level bcm in the intermittent circuitry.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Found that if you increase the resistance on a resistor closest to the switch on the binnacle printed circuitboard it increases the time between wipes .The resistor has the colours grey-red-orange-gold which translates to a 82k ohms.If you add a 100k resistor in series to give a total resistance of 182 k and increases the wipe delay from 6 sec to 15 seconds.
Original slider on factory switchblock is only a 4.7k so any if you put it in series it wouldnt make much difference..has to be 100 k to give any decent adjustment.

holdenrules

Reaction score
Hey Markovr,

Thanks for the legendary info, never would have been able to work that out, I'm usually brain dead when it comes to electronics.

Any ideas on electronics shops where I could get a 100k slide resistor that would fit perfect, to replace the 4.7k?

Been doing heaps of searches, but can only seem to find either a slide resistor that fits, but is wrong resistance or ones that are 100k, but don't fit! :(

Thanks heaps once again,

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
Im wiring a vn s2 body loom into a vs ute as im going 5l with a vp engine loom im almost fininshed apart from the intermediate function on the wipwr stalk i want to all this without the jiffy box and barnacle switch only want to use a relay and required caps or resistors