Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing audio system into a VR

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hmmm, I haven't brought the spilts from Jaycar for a longtime. They USED to offer both. But I guess not anymore.

the JLs sounded great in a 96 Magna. Never heard them in a Commodore.

Why aren't you putting the tweeter in the dash? Thats the IDEAL place to put them. Pull out the vent strip in front of the wondow and you will see a "fake" vent, whip out the stanley knife turn them into real vents and mount the tweeters behind them, you can even use the screw hole there for the factory tweeters that were used on higher models. :) Underneath the glove box you will find a black plastic kick panel it's pretty flimsy but holds a pair of Crossover end to end just beautifully;)

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Honestly I prefer the sound of MB Quart's to the Alpine type R's (also 6.5") , not that the type R's aren't good.

I put my tweeters in the kicks in an attempt to maintain an even sound stage and avoid possible phase issues.

With the tweets up high thery're quite far from the woofers, resulting in a slight delay from when the signal gets to your ear between the tweets and the woofers.

Putting the tweeters in the kick panels also keeps the distance between the left tweeter and the right tweeter closer together. So the sound is more centered.

They're also out of the way down there, so they're not noticeable to someone looking from the outside.

My mate's got the tweeters of his Type R's mounted in the factory spots on the dash, where those fake vents are. To me, they sound way too harsh sitting up there and reflecting off the glass. I guess maybe if they were attenuated 3-6db that might take away that problem a little.

I couldn't put my crossovers on that black plastic bit cos it's all taken up with excess cable. That's not a bad idea at all though!