Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing CD Player in VS - help

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Hi,

The other half bought a cd player for her 50th Anaversary ute the other day and has asked me to fit it...

I've fitted a couple of units into VP's and VG's in the past, but they never had the electric windows and they were both manual which made it easier to remove the console.

My question is:

Is there an easier way to remove the existing unit without going through the hassle of removing the centre console?

Cheers

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
This might be off the topic, VG (i'm thinking Statesman)???

Dover1123

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S Ute
Not Statesman, VG as in 1990 model Commodore Ute.

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
theres a write up in car audio section i tried to do it uther day and couldnt get it to work. id get it done by a pro if i were u or u can **** ur deck up. they rekon i blew a few fuses tryin to do it

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Dover1123 said:
Not Statesman, VG as in 1990 model Commodore Ute.

Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
Dover1123 said:
Hi,

The other half bought a cd player for her 50th Anaversary ute the other day and has asked me to fit it...

I've fitted a couple of units into VP's and VG's in the past, but they never had the electric windows and they were both manual which made it easier to remove the console.

My question is:

Is there an easier way to remove the existing unit without going through the hassle of removing the centre console?

Cheers

yes you do need to remove the centre console...this is because the screwes holding on the existing HU are covered by the last piece of centre console which you will remove. Its a pain ;)

VS Goon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore wagon V6
it's actually quite simple, just take the ash tray out and get your fingers under then and pull the console up hard and a few clips pop out, sounds like it hurts the car but its actually fine :) then 4 screws for the cd player surround then the rest is straigh forward

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Yeah very easy. Pop off the bit of console around the gear stick, disconnect the cig lighter, unscrew and then pull off the trim around the radio/ air con controls and pull that bit out, open your glove box and down the right hand side you should see 2 or 3 screws take them out, open fuse box lid, same again, down the left side 2 or 3 screws then remove the whole piece of dash and you should be able to get to the headunit from there! Wire up your new unit and put everything back!