Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Cruise Control, Manual VS III Ute???

Hancock5158

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III VS Ute
Hey guys, long time stalker first time poster.. I've been looking around the forum and other places for a few days now trying to find some stuff on how to install cruise control on a manual VS, but a lot of stuff I've read either talks about autos or doesn't give much detail, a lot of info is over 4 years old too, so i was wondering if anyone has done it, or knows how to do it and can explain it to me? its a manual VS series III ute, i know i need the new indicator stalk and the cruise unit, but i get lost at the wiring up a new brake switch to the clutch part, thanks!

browland1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
If its an "S" and has electric windows all the wiring connectors will be in the body loom. Just a matter of fitting the Indicator stalk, normally closed brake switch (an extra to the one for the lights, the module actually used both switches as a safety), cruise motor/module and cable etc then plug them all in. If its a base model ute then I doubt it has any of the connectors in the body loom. There is a patch loom that holden sold as part of a cruise controll kit for Executives. it had a few pass-through connectors and single wires that spliced power from the RHF door loom connector and BCM connectors then ran through the firewall and followed the body loom around the front of the radiator and then connected to the cruise motor/module. No manual VR-VS came from the factory with cruise controll. The only ecxeption was the 215i HSV GTS/Senators hat had the
T56 as these had a clutch switch down on the cable over hydraulic linkage box that bolted to the RHS of the bell housing. The wires simply ran back up inside through the firewall and then were joined into one of wires for the normally closed brake switch. There are a few around that people have made brackets to fit a clutch switch to the pedal box which work fine. Ive fitted cruise controll to my VS Series III manual V8 "S" ute but dont use a clutch switch. Its never been an issue as im the only one that drives it. Ive also got a VS Berlina wagon that was factory fitted with cruise which ive now converted to T5 manual and the cruise still works fine. Its suprising how quick they hit the rev limiter if someone changes back a gear going up a hill with the cuise on!! HAHAHA!! If yours has the connectors in it then its as simple as fit the missing components and plug them all in as long as your not fussed about not having a clutch switch.

Brett

Hancock5158

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III VS Ute
If its an "S" and has electric windows all the wiring connectors will be in the body loom. Just a matter of fitting the Indicator stalk, normally closed brake switch (an extra to the one for the lights, the module actually used both switches as a safety), cruise motor/module and cable etc then plug them all in. If its a base model ute then I doubt it has any of the connectors in the body loom. There is a patch loom that holden sold as part of a cruise controll kit for Executives. it had a few pass-through connectors and single wires that spliced power from the RHF door loom connector and BCM connectors then ran through the firewall and followed the body loom around the front of the radiator and then connected to the cruise motor/module. No manual VR-VS came from the factory with cruise controll. The only ecxeption was the 215i HSV GTS/Senators hat had the
T56 as these had a clutch switch down on the cable over hydraulic linkage box that bolted to the RHS of the bell housing. The wires simply ran back up inside through the firewall and then were joined into one of wires for the normally closed brake switch. There are a few around that people have made brackets to fit a clutch switch to the pedal box which work fine. Ive fitted cruise controll to my VS Series III manual V8 "S" ute but dont use a clutch switch. Its never been an issue as im the only one that drives it. Ive also got a VS Berlina wagon that was factory fitted with cruise which ive now converted to T5 manual and the cruise still works fine. Its suprising how quick they hit the rev limiter if someone changes back a gear going up a hill with the cuise on!! HAHAHA!! If yours has the connectors in it then its as simple as fit the missing components and plug them all in as long as your not fussed about not having a clutch switch.

Brett

Cheers for the reply mate! very helpful, i have heard that series III's will have the wiring looms and such regardless of badge, theres a shared space for cruise control in my fuse box, and i have remote central locking so im staying hopeful!, where should i be looking to see if the looms are in place??

browland1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
If your body loom has the connectors in it then there will be a rectangular 10 pin connector (2 rows of 5) tucked up around the air filter box area. Some of the base models did require a different BCM but that could have only been the early VR's?? If yours has the connectors in the Body Loom already then the BCM should be fine.