Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing engine mounts vu

kaiopalis

Reaction score
Members Ride
white vu ute
hello all, ive just bought some new right and left engine mounts for my vu and was wondering if its a real head f*** putting them in or if its worth doin it yourself. I got qouted 270 to put them in and have been looking around on the net and it seems all you have to do is take the weight off the mounts by jacking the engine a bit, and removing the bolts and repleacing the mounts...
Im not bothered really bout time. Anyone here done it before?

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Done them on a VT last week.
Genrally speaking they are not very hard however can be a real pain in the ass.
First thing ou have to do (which the bitch part) is to crack and undo the top two (i think) nuts on the top side of each mount.
Reason these are so difficlt is that they are done up very tight and can be very awkward to get anything on there and crack it.
My boss did them for me so i cant really give you any tips on them.
Then if u have a transmission jack or if not trolley jack may do. Place it under the engine so its ready.
Then on the bottom side of the mounts there are another two bolts on each.
These bolts are mush easier to access and undo.
Undo them and then raise the jack and engine till its high enough to pull the old mounts out.
Make sure you take note of how they sit as they only sit one way.
Place in your new mounts and line all your bolts up and lower the engine then redo all you nuts.
One tip i would have is that when raising the engine try and place the jack so that it raises it as evenyl as possible.
This will be much easier when you go to lower the engine back down.
Some wriggling leavering will probably be required as they can be a bastard to get back down in place.
ANyway hope this gives you an insight and helps.

kaiopalis

Reaction score
Members Ride
white vu ute
thanks for the reply, I was thinking i'd be able to do it but I was certain there could be some tricky setbacks. Im going to try it this weekend. I have to get it right because i need my car to get to work... wish me luck!

kaiopalis

Reaction score
Members Ride
white vu ute
yea i had a crack at it.. for bout 10mins.. 1 side i can undo piece of piss.. the other has a nice bit of frame or sumthin surrounding it and keeping me from gettin to the bolts... i have a vu maybe its different.

86VL5spd

Repn RB 20-10
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS
Not too hard to dont, worse case undo A/c Compressor for LH mount,

if you got access to a hoist piece of piss, i do both in 25mins, bend 15mm spanner does tha trick and no need to removed anything