Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing gauges?

Silver surfer

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Executive
well I got my gauges today (water, oil and volts) now the install instructions say that the sender for the oil and water is usually installed in the same hole from which the warning light sender is removed.

now no where in the instructions does it say remove the warning light sender and if it did would that not leave the light on the dash illuminated perminently????

any help would be great.

Dave

Slow_Az

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY s11 Cosmo "S"
oil pressure sender - buy a tee piece, 1/4' npt. remove factory switch, fit tee piece, refit factory switch (depending on the size of the tee piece you may have to extend your wiring to be able to plug it back in) heres a thread with a pic for you.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...3357-oil-pressure-gauge-install-question.html

volts guage i earthed to the alternator earth, and earthed oil pressure to an existing earth in the passenger footwell. as for wiring up the gauges, i got power from pink wire from ignition, and got illumination from a brown and white wire from behind the instrument cluster.

hope this helps

Silver surfer

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Executive
cheers mate you rock got any ideas on the water temp one at all?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
just buy another t-peice. not sure on ecotec but there should be 2 sensors behind/under the altenator area. one should be the coolant temp sensor and the other the gauge sender. you could tee of either or replace the gauge sender with your own (rendering the one in cluster useless)

Silver surfer

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY Executive
ok i got the water temp figured there is a thing that drift performance products have called a temperature sender adaptor pretty much what is, is a adaptor that you put in the radiator hose its self, cutting out part of the hose the sensor then screws into this.

the guy at auto barn told me i need a sandwich plate to do the oil sender and said a t peice would not fit in the vy to do it.

Slow_Az

Reaction score
Members Ride
04' VY s11 Cosmo "S"
tee piece works in vy for oil sender, but if you're gonna get oil temp too, well then sandwich plate is the best option. 1/4" threaded tee piece is what you need, and with drift senders, i think they supply 3/8" sender. i bought autometer pro-comp ultra lite gauges and they supply a 1/4" nipple. you'll need 2 nipples, 3/8" female to 1/4" male for the sender (double check your sender thread, or just take with you if you decide to go the tee piece way), and also another nipple 1/4" male to 1/4" male to screw into the tee piece to go into the hole where the pressure switch would be. i got mine from pirtek. cost me $14 i think, 1 tee piece, 1 m-m nipple. just ask for the smallest tee piece. i know that's what i asked for lol
i hope this helped