Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing hardlid

Ausdrift

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
Hey guys, just bought a hardlid for my ve and it came with several different screws. My main problem is the hinges that need to be drilled on, is it the
Tech self screwing screws that are used or what? Anyone done this before? Oh and the gas struts are stuck in the open position, really hard to compress to close position are they stuffed or is there some way to bleed them or something. Cheers.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
What brand? From Holden?

They are a bit of a mission to fit make sure you study the instructions and measure everything twice!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Different brands use different fitting methods, it should have come with instructions.

The struts are fine, you won't be able to compress them by hand, they hold the weight of the lid so they are very stiff.

Mrk_Mickey

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 ute series ll
Should've bought my lid, I could've installed it for you! Hehe.

I watched the guy install mine from start to finish and I have to say he made it look heaps easy. The hardest part would be aligning the hinges I reckon, cos everything else is ready for a specific place. He drilled small holes to start the screws in their right place for the hinges, I'm not sure what hardware you've got but that might be a good idea?

And as said above..the struts are heaps stiff. They'll work once they're installed! :D

Mrk_Mickey

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 ute series ll
Oh and if you're stuck with different types of screws to use, see if you can find pictures of hinges of the same brand lid. It should be pretty straightforward either way, you should be able to sit the screws in the hinge (when it's off the car) snug so it fits nicely anyhow.