Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing HUD into non HUD vehicle.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Wanting to know if anyone has installed a factory HUD into their vehicle that didn’t have it come fitted.

I know that it can be fitted into any VF and it requires removing the entire dash, cutting a hole in it, fitting the HUD tapping into the correct 5 wires in the correct wiring loom and then refitting the dash and a speedo cluster hood with the HUD cut out.

What am having trouble with is finding the correct 5 wires to tap into and knowing the exact place to cut the hole.

I also know that the vehicles that come with it factory fitted have the special windscreen with the reflective laminate in it but I am not concerned about this and believe it still works without it or can stick reflective film to the windscreen if need be.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Dash has lines on the underside for where the cut out is required

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Cam-ralph I don’t know if you can do it put your probably better off getting a dash out if something that had the HUD already like this one
562E3719-E6AE-47E2-BBCC-5BC308B2921B.jpeg
Also keep in mind you well need the HUD controls
1B777462-58CC-4E75-93D4-38AA7C7F4B64.jpeg
New dash pad/cover thing
D3E746A3-88B5-4E0A-8A77-301365A49B20.jpeg
And the HID unit it’s self
F9B3994A-1632-4E15-B3D8-DEC00FF10917.jpeg
And as far you reflective film doesn’t work and windscreen dose need replacing. Then you need someone to reprogram the PCM/BCM (can’t remember what one) for it to work.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
@Cam-ralph I don’t know if you can do it put your probably better off getting a dash out if something that had the HUD already like this one
View attachment 206005
Also keep in mind you well need the HUD controls
View attachment 206006
New dash pad/cover thing
View attachment 206007
And the HID unit it’s self
View attachment 206008
And as far you reflective film doesn’t work and windscreen dose need replacing. Then you need someone to reprogram the PCM/BCM (can’t remember what one) for it to work.
Thanks and yes it is definitely doable, got all the above parts lined up apart from the dash, if I could get the dash that cheap over here in NZ I would, there is no programming required for the HUD.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good luck with it. I find HUD overated. I came standard on my car and I barelly look at it...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thanks and yes it is definitely doable, got all the above parts lined up apart from the dash, if I could get the dash that cheap over here in NZ I would, there is no programming required for the HUD.
Keen to see how you go and price. thinking about it myself.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Good luck with it. I find HUD overated. I came standard on my car and I barelly look at it...
Interesting Ron..I’ve heard a few people say that but I honestly find it hard to live without when I now drive cars without it.

Admittedly we’re all different but is it because I’m paranoid and have an aversion to topping up the Govt coffers? I drive through a lot of different speed zones and I find that changing between our V6, V8 and a 4cylinder (the only one of the 3 cars without HUD) I find it difficult to judge speed as precisely as the Govt would have us these days..especially around school zones etc.

I consider myself a capable driver, licensed for over 40yrs, but I hate taking my eyes off the road to check speed...

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I love the HUD I use it all the time.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
licensed for over 40yrs, but I hate taking my eyes off the road to check speed

Over 30 years for me and I've never understood the issue of taking eyes off the road to check speed.