Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing HUD into non HUD vehicle.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I dont have a hud to look at but i will take a guess and say the data is fed to it via the swcan which is normally a green wire and i would guess there should be a dimmer/brightness control wire unless that is passed through the gmlan.
It would also need the power wires neg and pos.

I would start with finding the schematic for the hud and go from there.
Thanks, yeah I have managed to find all the wiring diagrams over the weekend and have a fairly good idea of what wires I need to tap into now. Would still be nice to confirm the exact wires from someone else that has done it but doesn’t look as though anyone on here has.
Thanks for the help though.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thanks, yeah I have managed to find all the wiring diagrams over the weekend and have a fairly good idea of what wires I need to tap into now. Would still be nice to confirm the exact wires from someone else that has done it but doesn’t look as though anyone on here has.

How many wires will you have to tap into?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

if you need to find a location for the swcan wire or canh and canl depending on the huds config you can tap into the wires that go to the back of the obd2 port and finding a pinout for the obd port is easy.
don't take the power for it from the obd port I would take that from the wires that go to the acc/cig lighter socket.

you will probably be the first on this forum to attempt to wire the factory hud in so if you wanted to take a little extra time taking pics and maybe do up a small guide or throw some info into a new thread to help others.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
How many wires will you have to tap into?
Surprisingly not that many, attached are the pin outs for the HUD and the HUD switch, I think it’s 4 that I will need to tap into as 3 wires just go from the HUD to the switch.
Doesn’t look hard but always nice to have confirmation from someone that has done it.

Attachments

• 32F62927-3775-46FC-9DDC-68935D534A76.png
    32F62927-3775-46FC-9DDC-68935D534A76.png
    347.7 KB · Views: 258
  • D76C6858-FF23-48D1-AC6B-019727C9EAE7.png
    D76C6858-FF23-48D1-AC6B-019727C9EAE7.png
    347.2 KB · Views: 262

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
you will probably be the first on this forum to attempt to wire the factory hud in so if you wanted to take a little extra time taking pics and maybe do up a small guide or throw some info into a new thread to help others

Will definitely keep this in mind when I do it

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As Pauline would say "Please explain"?:D
I think he means that you have the choice of either driving like a c*** & holding everyone up at under the limit, being distracted by staring at the speedo all the time, or paying the tax.

I mean, getting done for 3km/h over like happens in Victoria is pretty piss-poor by the gumbyment, and proves they're more worried about politics ("appearing to be doing something about safety") than actually doing anything about safety.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think he means that you have the choice of either driving like a c*** & holding everyone up at under the limit, being distracted by staring at the speedo all the time, or paying the tax.

I mean, getting done for 3km/h over like happens in Victoria is pretty piss-poor by the gumbyment, and proves they're more worried about politics ("appearing to be doing something about safety") than actually doing anything about safety.

Its got nothing to do with Road Safety, when you receive the notice in the post 2 weeks later...