Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing Microphone - Wire through A Pillar?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Hey Guys!

Looking to install an external microphone that needs to plug/feed into the back of my head unit that I've already installed.

I've read everywhere that it simply just goes down through the A Pillar, but how do I run the wire through to get through to where the head unit loom is after that?

Never taken it off before, so how exactly do we get the A Pillar cover off?

Thanks guys ☺

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Pull down the fuse/relay panel below the steering wheel.
Remove the door window vent cover at the side of the dash (3 Screws inside the slats). You might need a torch to see them.
Remove the wind screen vent trim. It's held in with clips and 1 screw behind the door window vent cover.
Unscrew and remove the grab handle, above the door.
Remove the screw behind the plastic plug at the top of the "B" pillar (no need to remove the "B" pillar trim).
Gently pull out the A pillar trim. It's held on by clips running down the "A" pillar it's self.

CAUTION......
When you put it back on, ensure the clips on the "A" pillar trim are alined up with there slots on the "A" pillar.
Otherwise, when you go to push the clips back in, you could snap the plastic piece, on the inside of the trim, that hold the clips in place.

When you run the wire down/up the pillar, ensure you don't run the wire too close to
the clips or any screws.

Something I do, is to use some tape or Blu Tack to hold the wire(s) in place. Especially if you are running wire(s) near, or next to fasteners.
This will ensure the wire(s) won't come into contact with fasteners, when the trim panel is re installed.

Last edited:

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
you want that for karaoke dont you danielnitschke

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Pull down the fuse/relay panel below the steering wheel.
Remove the door window vent cover at the side of the dash (3 Screws inside the slats). You might need a torch to see them.
Remove the wind screen vent trim. It's held in with clips and 1 screw behind the door window vent cover.
Unscrew and remove the grab handle, above the door.
Remove the screw behind the plastic plug at the top of the "B" pillar (no need to remove the "B" pillar trim).
Gently pull out the A pillar trim. It's held on by clips running down the "A" pillar it's self.

CAUTION......
When you put it back on, ensure the clips on the "A" pillar trim are alined up with there slots on the "A" pillar.
Otherwise, when you go to push the clips back in, you could snap the plastic piece, on the inside of the trim, that hold the clips in place.

When you run the wire down/up the pillar, ensure you don't run the wire too close to
the clips or any screws.

Something I do, is to use some tape or Blu Tack to hold the wire(s) in place. Especially if you are running wire(s) near, or next to fasteners.
This will ensure the wire(s) won't come into contact with fasteners, when the trim panel is re installed.

Thanks Nut cracker.
I won't do all this until I actually receive the mic in the mail, but once everything's removed, how do I run the wires to the head unit?
Is the loom visible after I remove the vent cover by the windscreen/dashboard?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Remove the plastic trim, on the left hand side of the centre console and
you will see the radio harness (see picture below).

It would be easier to run your wire(s) down the left side 'A' Pillar.
Then you don't have to try and get your wire(s) under the centre console.

The only difference in removing the left side 'A' Pillar is....
You will need to remove the glove box door and
the small trim panel that runs down and under, the left side of the glove box.
That's so as you can remove the door air vent.

While you have the glove box door off, remove the trim on the other side of the glove box,
that runs down and under it.
You'll need to remove that to get to the radio harness.
Stereo Speaker Harness..jpg

BadDad62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS Gen3 UTE
I kept mine keep it simple and just stuck it on the top of the steering Colum :beer chug:

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Remove the plastic trim, on the left hand side of the centre console and
you will see the radio harness (see picture below).

It would be easier to run your wire(s) down the left side 'A' Pillar.
Then you don't have to try and get your wire(s) under the centre console.

The only difference in removing the left side 'A' Pillar is....
You will need to remove the glove box door and
the small trim panel that runs down and under, the left side of the glove box.
That's so as you can remove the door air vent.

While you have the glove box door off, remove the trim on the other side of the glove box,
that runs down and under it.
You'll need to remove that to get to the radio harness.
View attachment 179083

Awesome thanks once again nut cracker.

I've changed my mind. I don't think there's enough length on the mic to run it from the rear view mirror, so I'm going to mount it just above the right A pillar cover on the drivers side.

You mentioned difficulty running it under the center console? How is this going to be a factor when the cables running in behind the dash practically?

I'll give everything a go tomorrow while I have the day off!!

You mentioned some screws inside the door vent (I'm assuming this is the part connected to the inside of the car not the door). I can't see any inside the vent but there are three screws around the vent. I'm assuming these are what you're meaning, or am I looking at the wrong thing. :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You mentioned difficulty running it under the center console? How is this going to be a factor when the cables running in behind the dash practically?
You can get them under the centre console.
You just have to use a pull through.
Something like coat hanger wire. Attach the electrical wire to one end of the coat hanger wire,
push the coat hanger wire carefully under the dash and draw the electrical wire through.

You mentioned some screws inside the door vent (I'm assuming this is the part connected to the inside of the car not the door). I can't see any inside the vent but there are three screws around the vent. I'm assuming these are what you're meaning, or am I looking at the wrong thing. :)
I think we're on the same page......