Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing new cd player

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Just bought a JVC double din cd player to replace the stock one in my VT, and I'm not sure how it's suppose to be restrained. The unit didn't come with a cage around it (not sure if it is suppose to or not) and the clips on the original deck don't look like they'll fit onto the new one.

What have other people done?

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
sounds like a **** fight mate, take it to the experts, normally only costs arond $80-110 bucks to have it done right

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
my deck just sits friction fit in there

doesn't matter to me as it's not a bloody Autosalon rice box

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I've heard of people getting hammers and "encouraging" the cage to fit the new unit, but it kind of fracks up future install plans, wouldn't suggest doing it that way unless you are desperate.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I've heard of people getting hammers and "encouraging" the cage to fit the new unit, but it kind of fracks up future install plans, wouldn't suggest doing it that way unless you are desperate.

didnt come with a cage, if you read his post.

my deck just sits friction fit in there

doesn't matter to me as it's not a bloody Autosalon rice box

"friction fit" might not stay "friction fit" in an accident, and you might end up with a headunit lodged in your skull.

its really not hard to do it right, your car doesnt have to be a "autosalon rice box" to have a securely mounted stereo.

DANNY8, take the instrument panel fascia off(the bit that wraps around cluster and headunit), screw some flat strap into the sides of the headunit, and bend right angles ~1-2cm(you'll have to do some measuring to get it spot on) from the front of the headunit. you may have to unscrew the 4 screws holding the plastic surround to the steel behind it, and bend it out a bit for the screws on the headunit to clear.

screw the straps into the plastic and metal. reinstall fascia, clip on the plastic surround that came with the unit, and voila, you have a non projectile headunit installed.

its easier for me to do it rather than explain it but i hope that helps.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Thx for the help guys. I thought of doing that Hakhawk but was to lazy to make some right angle brackets lol. Ended up pulling a fair bit of the dash out so we had access to the metal frame that the original deck slides into. Measured up for 2 holes on each side of the JVC deck, then drilled the holes in the original metal frame, and put the supplied screws through the original frame and into the JVC deck. It's solid as, and definitely won't come out in a hurry. Just sucks that when I decide to chuck an amp in the back half the dash is gonna have to come out just to connect the RCA's lol.

But atleast it's done, and not half arsed lol.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Than hook up the RCAs now, just don't plug them into anything. And cover the ends up with electrical tape or RCA plugs. Lay it into your glovebox or somewhere you can get it easily when you want to use them.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Than hook up the RCAs now, just don't plug them into anything. And cover the ends up with electrical tape or RCA plugs. Lay it into your glovebox or somewhere you can get it easily when you want to use them.

Yeah but u see the dash is back 2gether and to hook the RCA's up I'm gonna have to rip half the dash out again to remove the screws holding the deck in so it will slide out. Not a real big problem, just a slight inconvenience lol. Atleast if the car gets broken into the thieves are very unlikely to get it....they'll prolly get pissed off and just smash it tho...

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
didnt come with a cage, if you read his post.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was referring to the original frame.

And screwing holes in it seems the much better option :)