Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing oil catch can on a VN v6 s1

Susanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hi all
New here so apologies if I'm posting it right.
I got told that by installing a oil catch can is great to stop gunk build up in the TB. So the "out" being from the passenger side rocker cover goes in the "in " part on the can and the "out " outlet on the can goes straight to the TB inlet hole..
As any one out there ever done one??. If so any photos for help please....and is it worth it if car only done 150k.
Thanking you all for your help

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Always worth it if you intend to keep it for any period of time.

.... and I happen to have done it on a s1 VN V6
vn-v6-jpg.47485

blocked-off-tb-breather-jpg.47484

breather-jpg.70808

Susanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Great pix!!. So your outlet and inlets are on where the funny U shaped rubber hose is behind alternator(this is where the pcv system is on the VN V6 S1 ?).
. You then block off the inlet on the tb and passenger rocker cover and put a breather on the oil filler cap. Am I on the same page as you?

Susanna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Oh!. What are those braded pipes going into your air intake system (just before where the pipe is attached to the throttle body?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Always worth it if you intend to keep it for any period of time.

.... and I happen to have done it on a s1 VN V6
vn-v6-jpg.47485

blocked-off-tb-breather-jpg.47484

breather-jpg.70808
On another car (MB SLK-not a Holden) I just vented the crankcase like this and blocked & removed the PCV air feed into the filter box. No need for a catch can and 100% certain that no crankcase oil fumes will get into the throttle body.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Great pix!!. So your outlet and inlets are on where the funny U shaped rubber hose is behind alternator(this is where the pcv system is on the VN V6 S1 ?).
. You then block off the inlet on the tb and passenger rocker cover and put a breather on the oil filler cap. Am I on the same page as you?

Correct

Oh!. What are those braded pipes going into your air intake system (just before where the pipe is attached to the throttle body?
Nitrous

On another car (MB SLK-not a Holden) I just vented the crankcase like this and blocked & removed the PCV air feed into the filter box. No need for a catch can and 100% certain that no crankcase oil fumes will get into the throttle body.

Doing it my way the PCV system still operates as intended so still mostly legal for EPA reasons. To be 100% legal you would need to have the system fully enclosed so would have to tie it back into the intake but seeing as these engines run on MAP using the little filter for the clean air inlet side of the system won't effect how the engine runs.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The PCV system is a closed circuit. Fresh air enters the crank case (engine) from the small hose connected to the throttle body and enters the rocker cover, the air than flows through the engine and enters the intake manifold via the PCV valve and the small hose with the 180° bend on the front of the manifold. The purpose of the PCV system is to "flush" the crank case of obnoxious gasses and prevent pollution by burning them in the combustion process again. The problem with this system is that it also lets oil vapour into the engine, the other problem is that sometimes as the engine moves through different operating parameters there is more vacuum at the throttle body than inside the intake, under these conditions the system flows in reverse and oil vapour comes back through the clean air side and gunks up the throttle body.