Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installing rear view camera series II

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Hey all, I purchased a rear view camera today which I want to connect to my IQ system, I'm getting conflicting info though, some people are saying you can directly connect a composite cable to the IQ, some are saying no you can't

Has anyone actually done it? Any advice would help me

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Hey all, I purchased a rear view camera today which I want to connect to my IQ system, I'm getting conflicting info though, some people are saying you can directly connect a composite cable to the IQ, some are saying no you can't

Unfortunately its not that easy. To have a reverse camera you need the following:
1) Tools and instruction manual. Screw driver, alley key set and torq screw set. Also preferable plastic trim removal set!
2) An IQ video cable with suitable plugs put in. This is a MUST, without it you cant get the rear camera video going!
3) Have the rear camera option programmed into the IQ. No option = no camera!
4) A suitable reverse camera without guidelines
5) Most importantly, confidence to dive into it headfirst as it can seem scary pulling trims off!

The camera must not have guidelines since there is already lines put on the screen from the headunit. If the camera has guidelines then there wil be two full sets of lines displaying which looks ridiculous.
I have reverse camera kits available for the VE IQs, and was hoping to make up a "How-to" picture tutorial on JC for people to follow and see if they are up to the task. :beer chug:

peak200_0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S/C Calais
Reverse Camera

Hi Henrytad
I installed one to my 2012 VE ute last year no problems other than running the cable to the back of the car.
Connect an RCA socket to the flat plug above the sdcard slot for the GPS
Coaxial Shield (Blue) pin 3
Camera Video Signal (pink) pin 4
Connect your camera to this socket.
Connect the camera power to the reversing light circuit.
Get the Reverse camera option enable you need a scan tool connected to the Holden tech info site. A guy from on this forum did mine.
That's it, send me a PM if you need more info I am in Glenwood
Rgds Alan

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my 2010 berlina series 2 had the plug for the reverse camera from the iq unit in the boot on the righthand side behind the boot liner/carpet just above the wheel.
its the same cable/plug the number plate light plugs into.

it had +12v that was switched on when put into reverse and the wires to connect the cam upto in the plug.
I just used a cheap sca brand camera from supercheap auto.

might pay to check if you have the same plug in the boot before connecting upto the front and having to run cables down the back.

worst part was paying holden $130 to enable the camera function in the iq unit, for that price I told him to also enable the rse so I could connect the video aux plug and play videos from a media player.

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
Thanks everyone for your input, I've installed the camera and ran the wire up to near the driver door. As for connecting, do I need to remove all the covers and take the IQ unit out? Or is there access from the side panel

Tony310864

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Thunder Ute
You only need to remove the right side panel, the plug on IQ unit is the small rectangle plug near the SD card slot.

Tony.