Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

installing second hand vs ecotec. what i need

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim wagon s2
hey people i bought a 1996 vs s2 acclaim wagon about a month ago for 500 just for something to get to work with and that had rego and dude let me drive under his rego till run out.

but since then the engine has been running like **** and knocking or rattling on idle and gets even louder and faster when you rev so i was prity sure the engine was out of it then. checked with a commodore wreckers they said 1500 to get second hand engine thats done around 180-220 000 ks that with labour in putting it in and new engine mounts aswell. is that a decent price?? please let me know.

or

one of my mates mate got a engine at his place that came of his 1996 vs auto sedan done 198000 ks he said in good condition starts and goes good he will sell me for 300 but does not come with alternator, starter motor, coil pack, and power steering and air con pumps.

sorry for being such a noob at this dont know much bout cars bout my mate does and he said the old accessories from my engine will go straight into this other engine? might just have to buy some new engine and transmission mounts.

also please let me know on what else might be needed as were planning to do this weekend in my garage cause dont have 1500 to spend.

Attachments

• old engine.jpg
    old engine.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 6,118
  • old engine with radiator of.jpg
    old engine with radiator of.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6,925
Last edited:

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Your mate is right, the bits off the old engine should bolt straight up to the new one

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
replace your rear main seal this is essential otherwise it will crack then you will need to do the whole thing again because it is located at the back and bottom of the engine the seal is around 20 to 40 bucks depending on where you get it and get new mounts if it looks like you will need it dont forget also if it is an auto there are 2 hard lines that run from the radiator to the gearbox to cool down the trans fluid you must disconnect them at the gearbox and DO NOT BEND THEM AT ALL! keep us updated plz. good luck with it where are you located?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim wagon s2
replace your rear main seal this is essential otherwise it will crack then you will need to do the whole thing again because it is located at the back and bottom of the engine the seal is around 20 to 40 bucks depending on where you get it and get new mounts if it looks like you will need it dont forget also if it is an auto there are 2 hard lines that run from the radiator to the gearbox to cool down the trans fluid you must disconnect them at the gearbox and DO NOT BEND THEM AT ALL! keep us updated plz. good luck with it where are you located?

hey thanks for quick replay guys.. yea.. will definetly replace the rear main seal.. dont want to have to do it all again. as i was getting a whole engine was just going to replace the mounts ( not sure if the need changing but was doing for my own piece of mind). how do u tell? i will remember that about the 2 hard lines.. my mate said he was going to pull old engine out and my trans so we can fit trans on new engine and drop them in at the same time.. that possible... he has done this before and his car goes sick...

thnaks for the heads up crouchy

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
its possible to do it like that when i did mine i did them seperately but i thought it would be easier. try and do it together if you can. the mounts will probably not need it (considering you drive every day no problem) but in the long run rather than the mounts being the next thing to go on you your better off replacing them. if theyre out of shape or cracked badly they need replacing. clean your engine bay and the engine as well while it is out. looks alot nicer and is easier to work on because you can see any oil leaks for example use a couple of cans of degreaser to do that.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim wagon s2
ok... i have bought that engine of my mates mate.. he ended up basically giving it to me for just 250. plus his gonna give us a hand putting it in... engine will be here tonight after work.. hopefully can get my old engine ready and get lifted out tomorrow so i can clean and degrease the new one going in. clean the engine bay and do whatever whie we got engine out.. also thinking of getting c.a.i. sometime this week.

Attachments

• second hand engine need degreasing and stuff.jpg
    second hand engine need degreasing and stuff.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,291
Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim wagon s2
hey guys have started to take things of the car got the new engine and car in my garage ready to go.. got a gregorys manual for the vs. my mate wont be able to help until this weekend and i just want to do as much as i can. ive taken the bonnet of but have no idea how to reduce the fuel system pressure. please someone let me know cause that the first thing it says to do. then i can get started with removing all the radiator and stuff.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just go to the fuse box under the bonnet,find the fuel pump relay,and while the engine is idling,pull out the relay.The engine will stall.Thats it,fuel system pressure reduced.It should have instructions on how to do this in the Gregorys manual under the fuel section.